Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance

Credit Insurance License Questions and Answers

1. Where can I obtain an application for the credit insurance agent license?

Application forms for business entities and individuals, along with instructions on what must be submitted to the Department to obtain a credit insurance agent license, are available on this Web site at How Can I Get A License.

2. What is the application fee for a Credit Insurance Agent License?

An application fee of $408 must accompany an individual or business entity license application form. To add an endorsee to a business entity license, the application fee is $41. 

3. What is my renewal period?

Credit insurance agent licenses are valid for one year, and must be renewed each year to remain in force.

4. What is the renewal fee?

The renewal fee is $373 for an individual or a business entity license. To renew an endorsee of a business entity, the fee is $7 for each endorsee.

5. What are the education requirements for a credit insurance agent?

There are no specific education requirements for credit insurance agents. However, insurance companies that appoint credit insurance agents to represent them must certify that the agents are trustworthy and competent.

6. Where can I locate more information regarding the Credit Insurance Agent License for business entities?

Information regarding credit insurance agent licenses for business entities can be found by selecting various links on the Department's Credit Insurance Agent License Main Page.

7. Where can I locate the specific disclosures that will be required for the Credit Insurance Agent License?

California Insurance Code section 1758.97, and the regulations adopted by the Department to implement and clarify the Insurance Code provisions on credit insurance agents, require credit insurance agents to make various disclosures when selling credit insurance. These disclosures are summarized on the Conditions link on this Web page.

8. May a commission be paid to a person with a Credit Insurance Agent License?

An insurer may pay a commission to an individual or business entity that holds a credit insurance agent license. A business entity licensed as a credit insurance agent may pay a commission to an individual who is licensed as a credit insurance agent if that individual is registered with the Department as an endorsee for the business entity.

9. If I am licensed in another state, how can I transact credit insurance for California?

Non-residents may obtain a credit insurance agent license. The CDI's Non-Resident Application Requirements provides the necessary information on how to obtain a license as a non-resident.

10. If I am an individual credit insurance agent, can I have endorsees?

If you are an individual credit insurance agent, you may not have endorsees. If you have employees that will be selling credit insurance, each employee must be individually licensed if that employee will receive commission for selling credit insurance.

If you need further assistance, please call CDI's Licensing Hotline at (800) 967-9331 or send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.

Font Size: Translate: Español