Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance


What if I want to be licensed as a non-resident in another state?

You should contact the other state(s) for their license requirements. A letter of certification from the California Department of Insurance is sometimes required when filing in another state as a non-resident. Use this link for other state's insurance departments.

The fastest method for ordering a Letter of Certification/Certificate of License Status is to submit your request electronically through Sircon's Request a Letter of Certification. The fee for each letter is $24 plus you will be charged an additional transaction fee of $5.60 per certification using this method and you will be able to print the certifications letter(s) yourself. If you have any problems printing the certifications you will need to contact the vendor Sircon at their helpline number at 517-381-3860.


To order a Letter of Certification/Certificate of License Status by mail, you can send us a written request or use our form *LIC 780. The fee for each letter is $24.  Mail to: Department of Insurance, PO Box 1139, Sacramento, CA 95812-1139. The process will take approximately two to three weeks.

I'm a non-resident, do I have to do continuing education hours?

If your resident state requires continuing education hours, you will not have to comply with California continuing education requirements. However, if you market long-term care you must complete a California 2004 8 Hour Long-Term course from an approved California education provider and if you market Annuities you must comply with California's Annuity training requirement.

*These forms are in PDF format. To view these forms, your browser must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. A free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from our Document Readers webpage.

Non-Resident to Resident Examination Waivers:

Cal. Ins. Code section 1675 allows licensed agents in good standing in another state, who move to California, to waive the examination requirement as a condition to obtaining a California resident license. To qualify for the waiver, the agent or broker must hold a non-resident license in California. However, agents and brokers currently licensed as non-residents who move to California must still complete the 12-hour California Code and Ethics course before the license can be issued. The agent must apply for the resident license within 90 days of canceling the license in their previous home state.

Definition of Resident

Cal. Ins. Code section 1638 defines a "resident" to allow for either an individual who occupies a dwelling in California or an individual who maintains his or her principal place of business in California while limiting the individual to only designate one state as his or her resident state.

General Licensing Information

Education Providers

If you need further assistance, please call the California Department of Insurance's (CDI) Producer Licensing Bureau at (800) 967-9331 or send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau

All filing fees submitted are not refundable, whether or not the application is acted upon or the examination taken.

Google Translate