Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance

License Changes

How do I inform the Department of my address change?
The Department uses an Internet address change service. The service allows both resident and nonresident insurance producer licensees to change their addresses online. Use this link for Sircon's Change an Individual Address, Name or Email Address. This service cannot be used if you are changing resident states (residential address to another state). If you are changing your resident state, you must file the address change form LIC 447-7*.

I'm moving to another state. Do I need to request a clearance letter from the California Department of Insurance?
A clearance letter may be required in other states. Please contact the state you are moving to so that you may confirm if a clearance letter is required. If you request a clearance letter, this request cancels your license in California. If you need a clearance letter, you must submit a Clearance Letter Request, form LIC-074. There is a fee of $32 for each clearance letter requested. You will need to send your request to Department of Insurance, P.O. Box 1139, Sacramento CA 95812-1139. Please allow one to two weeks for issuance of the clearance letter.

In addition, if you move from California and become licensed as a resident in another state, you may request your California resident license to be changed to a California non-resident license. Please submit your request via email with your completed address change form LIC 447-7 digitally attached to the email request within 30 days of canceling your California resident license. If you wait more than 30 days, you may need to complete a non-resident application and pay the appropriate licensing fees.

How do I cancel or surrender my license?
To cancel or surrender your license complete the License Cancellation Request Form LIC CC2. You may submit this form by emailing the completed form to or by fax to (916) 327-6907.

I've recently married. How do I notify the California Department of Insurance of my name change?
To change the name on your license, you need to send a form of documentation showing your new name (i.e. copy of social security card, driver's license, or marriage certificate) and a signed statement. Fax your name change request to (916) 327-6907 or mail to: Department of Insurance, 320 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814-4309. The process will take one to two weeks.

How do I inform the California Department of Insurance that I represent a new insurance company or that I no longer represent an insurance company?
The new insurance company must submit an action notice of appointment, form LIC 447-54A* and fee of
$32. The prior company may submit an action notice of termination, form LIC 447-54T* and fee of $32 to terminate appointment, or you may self terminate your appointment by completing the agent notice of termination, form LIC 447-69* and submitting a fee of $32.

I have authority to act as a solicitor and would like to obtain authority to act as an agent or a broker; what is the procedure?
Your solicitor appointment must first be terminated either by you or the employer. The employer should complete a solicitor action notice, form LIC 417-31* and submit a fee of $32. To self terminate your appointment, you may complete a solicitor self termination notice , form LIC 417-32* and submit $32. After the termination is effective, an action notice of appointment, form LIC 447-54A* and $32 is required from each company. A Broker Bond of Insurance, form LIC 417-5* in the penal sum of ten thousand dollars ($10,000) must be filed with the California Department of Insurance before broker authority can be granted.

*These forms are in PDF format. To view these forms, your browser must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. A free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from the Document Readers page.

Back to Top

General Licensing Information

Education Providers

If you need further assistance, please call the California Department of Insurance's (CDI) Licensing Hotline at (800) 967-9331 or send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.

Google Translate