Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance


Will the Department of Insurance certify instructors?

No. It is the providers' responsibility to use instructors that meet one of the qualifications stated below:

  • Three years' experience within the last five years in the course subject matter, which experience may include being licensed as an insurance producer; or,
  • Possess scholastic credentials in the subject matter being taught.

In addition, providers shall have each instructor complete an Instructor Qualification Form and maintain the form on file for a period of five years for review by the Department. Do not submit the Instructor Qualification Form(s) with your course approval application.

Can an instructor earn CE credits for teaching an approved CE course*?

An instructor teaching an approved CE course can earn the same number of credit hours as a student who successfully completed the course. However, no course shall be taken for credit more than once during a  two-year renewal period. To receive the appropriate credits, the instructor's name should be included in the provider roster and a Certificate of Completion given to the instructor.

What kind of control do I have over students who sleep or do something else during class time?

As a provider, you should have your own guidelines for acceptable student conduct. These standards must be met or you should ask the student(s) to leave. Our attendance requirement for passing a course presumes that students pay attention and take part in the class as appropriate. A student who sleeps or reads a newspaper during class time should not be issued a Certificate of Completion. If we conduct an audit and find students obviously not paying attention, your provider status may be revoked.

*Disclaimer - No course approved for either prelicensing or continuing education hours or any designation resulting from completion of such courses should be construed to be endorsed by the Commissioner.

General Licensing Information

Education Providers

If you need further assistance, please call the California Department of Insurance's (CDI) Education Unit at (916) 492-3064 send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.

Google Translate