Our thoughts are with those who suffered a loss as a result of the recent California wildfires. The loss of life and property in the communities hit by these fires is heartbreaking.
My staff at the California Department of Insurance (CDI) is here to help fire victims with insurance related issues. In an effort to assist victims of these devastating fires, I have deployed my staff to the Local Assistance Centers to help fire victims. We are continuing to work closely with other federal, state and local agencies to assist in recovery issues related to insurance.
Please work with your agent, insurer claims adjuster, and insurer with a goal of achieving a settlement that you believe is fair and consistent with your coverage. I know this can be a very challenging time. If you have a question about your insurance or a dispute with your insurer, please call us at 1-800-927-4357. I hope the guides listed below can help you understand some of the key insurance coverage terms that typically apply, prepare you for the process of making and settling a claim, and help you to avoid some of the pitfalls that can occur along the way.
- Dave Jones, Insurance Commissioner
Advisories and Commissioner Notices
- Commissioner's Notice to Insurers Regarding Personal Property Coverage for Wildfire Claims - October 4, 2018
- Insurance Commissioner tours Redding wildfire zone and meets with survivors at LAC
- 2018 Emergency Declaration - August 1, 2018
- Notice to Insurers Regarding Expedited Claims Handling Procedures - August 1, 2018
- Notice to Licensees and Other Interested Parties regarding laws that pertain to Property Insurance Policies after a Declared Disaster - August 1, 2018
- 2017 Wildfire Commissioner Notices
The Department of Insurance urges consumers to begin the claims process by contacting their insurance company or agent. The Department strongly suggests people take their time when considering a contract for public adjuster. If a policyholder is considering hiring a public adjuster, the Department also urges consumers to check the public adjuster's license and make sure they are properly licensed and in good standing.
- Check Public Adjuster License Status by Name
- Check Public Adjuster License Status by License Number
- Enforcement Actions
Legislative Proposals and Reports
- Wildfire Survivors Insurance Recovery Blueprint Press Release - January 16, 2018
- Legislative Package
- Wildfire Availability and Affordability Report
Wildfire Survivor Stories
Additional State Resources