2017 Wildfire Resources
Our thoughts are with those who suffered a loss as a result of the recent Northern and Southern California wildfires. The loss of life and property in the communities hit by these fires is heartbreaking.
My staff at the California Department of Insurance (CDI) is here to help fire victims with insurance related issues. In an effort to assist victims of these devastating fires, I have asked insurers to expedite certain claims handling procedures and insurers have agreed to do so. I have deployed our staff to the Local Assistance Centers established to help fire victims. And we are working closely with other federal, state and local agencies to assist in recovery issues related to insurance.
Please work with your agent, insurer's claims adjuster, and insurer with a goal of achieving a settlement that you believe is fair and consistent with your coverage. I know this can be a very challenging time. If you have a question about your insurance or a dispute with your insurer, please call us at 1-800-927-4357. I hope the guides listed below can help you understand some of the key insurance coverage terms that typically apply, prepare you for the process of making and settling a claim, and help you to avoid some of the pitfalls that can occur along the way.
- Dave Jones, Insurance Commissioner
Consolidated Debris Removal Program Insurance Fact Sheet - October Wildfires (Northern CA)
Legislative Proposals and Reports
- Wildfire Survivors Insurance Recovery Blueprint Press Release - January 16, 2018
- Legislative Package
- Wildfire Availability and Affordability Report
- Commissioner's Press Release on Wildfire Availability and Affordability
- Commissioner's Notice to Insurers Regarding Personal Property Coverage for Wildfire Claims
- Commissioner's Notice to Insurers Regarding Expedited Claims Handling Procedures - December 8, 2017
- Commissioner's Notice to Insurers Regarding Expedited Claims Handling Procedures - October 13, 2017
- Insurance Commissioner Signs Emergency Situation Declaration Allowing Insurers to Expand Claim Adjuster Workforce to Assist Fire Victims Speedy Recovery
- Notice Sent to All Licensed Public Adjusters Regarding Restrictions Stated in Laws and Regulations of Post-Disaster Engagement
- Nov. 17, 2017 Notice to Insurers, Licensed Independent Insurance Adjusters, Agents/Brokers Public Insurance Adjusters and other Interested Parties regarding laws that pertain to Property Insurance Policies after a Declared Disaster
Obtain Assistance from CDI
The Department of Insurance urges consumers to begin the claims process by contacting their insurance company or agent. The Department strongly suggests people take their time when considering a contract for public adjuster. If a policyholder is considering hiring a public adjuster, the Department also urges consumers to check the public adjuster's license and make sure they are properly licensed and in good standing.
- Check Public Adjuster License Status by Name
- Check Public Adjuster License Status by License Number
- Enforcement Actions
Wildfire Survivor Stories
Additional State Resources