Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance

Carr Fire victims may have insurance for evacuation cost reimbursement

News: 2018 Press Release

For Release: July 28, 2018
Media Calls Only: 916-492-3566
Email Inquiries:

Carr Fire victims may have insurance for evacuation cost reimbursement
Affected residents urged to contact Department of Insurance Consumer Hotline

SHASTA, Calif. – With over 500 structures destroyed, including many homes, thousands of residents forced to evacuate may have homeowner or renter insurance coverage to help with evacuation and relocation costs, even if their homes are not damaged or destroyed, and in many cases no deductible is required.

Many homeowner and renter polices cover additional living expenses during natural disasters, which allows homeowners to maintain their standard of living by covering increased living expenses incurred as a result of damage caused by fire or mandatory evacuation. The coverage typically includes extra food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage, telephone installation and extra transportation expenses.

"These fires are exacting a devastating monetary and emotional toll on residents across the state and it is imperative that they are aware of every resource available to them to repair and rebuild," said Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones. "Insurance coverage is meant to protect consumers from the devastating financial effects of wildfires and other disasters. I encourage evacuees to contact their insurance agent or the Department of Insurance for assistance."

If any affected residents have any questions or need assistance, the California Department of Insurance is here to help. Please call: 1-800-927-4357 or visit  

Here are some tips for consumers:

  • Policy provisions, including deductibles, vary by company, residents should check with their insurer as soon as possible to confirm coverage, limits, and any other limitations and documentation requirements. Most renters' policies also typically include ALE coverage.

  • Consumer should make sure any insurance agent or public adjuster offering their services has a valid license by checking online with the Department of Insurance.

  • Public adjusters cannot solicit business for seven calendar days after the disaster.

  • Don't forget copies of insurance policies, important papers and a photo or video inventory of your possessions. An inventory can be completed quickly and easily on your smart phone and safely stored in the Cloud.

# # #

Media Notes:

Led by Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara, the California Department of Insurance is the consumer protection agency for the nation's largest insurance marketplace and safeguards all of the state’s consumers by fairly regulating the insurance industry. Under the Commissioner’s direction, the Department uses its authority to protect Californians from insurance rates that are excessive, inadequate, or unfairly discriminatory, oversee insurer solvency to pay claims, set standards for agents and broker licensing, perform market conduct reviews of insurance companies, resolve consumer complaints, and investigate and prosecute insurance fraud. Consumers are urged to call 1-800-927-4357 with any questions or contact us at via webform or online chat. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800-927-4357. Teletypewriter (TTY), please dial 800-482-4833.

Google Translate