Service of Court Filings
The Department of Insurance (“Department”) has temporarily modified its service procedures in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) to protect public health. To ensure the safety of the public and our employees, the Department will accept service of summons and complaints, writ petitions, qui tam whistleblower lawsuits, and subpoenas by email in this particular instance but will not accept service by email in future instances unless specifically authorized.
- Service of summons and complaints, writ petitions, qui tam whistleblower lawsuits, and subpoenas must be directed to the following email address: CustodianofRecords@insurance.ca.gov.
- For service of summons and complaints, and writ petitions, please include two copies of the notice and acknowledgement of receipt (Code of Civ. Proc., § 415.30). Service is deemed effective when the Department signs and emails the notice and acknowledgement of receipt forms back to the party.
- For service of subpoenas, service is deemed effective when the Department sends an email confirming receipt of the subpoena (Evid. Code, § 1560(b); Code of Civ. Proc., §2020.410(c).
- For substituted service of process, the Department requires two copies of all court documents and a fee in the amount of $32.00, payable to the California Department of Insurance, and sent by mail to the address listed in the Guidelines of Service of Process referenced below. (Ins. Code, 12931)
- Should you wish to serve the Department with other legal documents, please contact the Department for further instructions and procedure.
- Please note: The Department has not agreed to receive facsimile service of summons and complaints, writ petitions, subpoenas, or other legal documents.
- Guidelines for Service of Process