Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance

Consumer alert: Wildfire evacuees could be eligible for expenses under their current insurance policy

News: 2021 Press Release

For Release: August 18, 2021
Media Calls Only: 916-492-3566
Email Inquiries:

Consumer alert: Wildfire evacuees could be eligible for expenses under their current insurance policy
Additional Living Expense coverage under some homeowner or renter policies may help with evacuation and relocation costs

LOS ANGELES — Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara reminds residents across California who have been ordered to evacuate due to wildfires that they may have homeowner or renter insurance to help with evacuation and relocation costs under Additional Living Expenses coverage, known as ALE. ALE coverage typically includes food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage, and extra transportation expenses.

“Wildfires are devastating both to homes and people’s lives, even if you don’t suffer property damage. I want evacuees to know additional living expense coverage can be available to help with the stress and financial burden of mandatory evacuations,” said Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara. “Residents who have been evacuated should contact their insurance agent or insurance company to find out what their renters’ or homeowners’ policy covers and other resources that may be available to them while the mandatory evacuation orders are in place.”

Commissioner Lara sponsored a new law that requires insurance companies pay at least two weeks of ALE benefits to evacuees, among other new consumer protections. Many homeowners are unaware that they may have coverage under their homeowners’ and renters’ insurance policies to help them with evacuation and recovery expenses. It is critical to keep all receipts and document the date, time and names of any insurance company employees you speak to regarding your coverage and details of the conversation.

Here are some additional tips for consumers:

  • Policy provisions, including deductibles, vary by company, and residents should check with their insurance company or agent as soon as possible to confirm coverage, limits, and any other limitations and documentation requirements. Most renter’s policies also typically include ALE coverage.
  • Consumers should make sure any insurance agent or public adjuster offering their services has a valid license by checking online with the Department of Insurance.
  • Download the Department’s Top 10 Tips for Wildfire Claimants (also available in Spanish), which includes information about claiming ALE benefits.
  • Public adjusters cannot solicit business for seven calendar days after the disaster.
  • Don't forget copies of insurance policies, important papers, and a photo or video inventory of your possessions. An inventory can be completed quickly and easily on your smart phone and safely stored in the Cloud.

In 2020 Commissioner Lara’s sponsored bill SB 872, authored by Senator Bill Dodd, was signed by Governor Newsom to remove barriers for disaster survivors to get critical insurance benefits and streamline wildfire recovery processes for homeowners who suffer from a loss. The law allows for an extension of Additional Living Expenses benefits and requires an advance payment for no less than four months of ALE without an itemized inventory form, among other consumer protections.

# # #

Media notes:

  • Additional resources and information for consumers on wildfires are available from the California Department of Insurance. Download a free home inventory guide from the department website, or receive a hardcopy by calling the California Department of Insurance Consumer Hotline at 800-927-HELP (4357).
  • If you have any questions or need assistance, the California Department of Insurance is here to help. Please call: 1-800-927-4357 or visit
  • Additional contact information:
    • California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES): (916) 657-9494 or
    • California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE):
    • Federal Emergency Management Agency: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or
    • Contractors State License Board: 1-800-321-CSLB (2752) or
    • National Insurance Crime Bureau 1-888-815-9064 or

Led by Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara, the California Department of Insurance is the consumer protection agency for the nation's largest insurance marketplace and safeguards all of the state’s consumers by fairly regulating the insurance industry. Under the Commissioner’s direction, the Department uses its authority to protect Californians from insurance rates that are excessive, inadequate, or unfairly discriminatory, oversee insurer solvency to pay claims, set standards for agents and broker licensing, perform market conduct reviews of insurance companies, resolve consumer complaints, and investigate and prosecute insurance fraud. Consumers are urged to call 1-800-927-4357 with any questions or contact us at via webform or online chat. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800-927-4357. Teletypewriter (TTY), please dial 800-482-4833.

Google Translate