Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance

Wildfire evacuees may be eligible for cost reimbursement from their insurance company

News: 2020 Press Release

For Release: August 20, 2020
Media Calls Only: 916-492-3566
Email Inquiries:

Wildfire evacuees may be eligible for cost reimbursement from their insurance company
Residents urged to keep all receipts accrued during the evacuation and to contact their insurance company to start the claims process

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Thousands of residents across California who have been ordered to evacuate due to wildfires may have homeowners’ or renters’ insurance coverage to help with evacuation and relocation costs, even if their homes are not damaged or destroyed.

“With more than 367 wildfires sweeping the state, I want evacuees to know additional living expense coverage can be available to help ease the financial burden of mandatory evacuations,” said Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara. “Residents who have been evacuated should contact their insurance agent or the Department of Insurance to find out what their renter’s or homeowners’ policy covers and other resources that may be available to them while the mandatory evacuation orders are in place.”

Many homeowners are unaware that they may have coverage under their homeowners’ and renters’ insurance policies to help them with evacuation and recovery expenses. Additional living expense coverage, known as ALE, typically includes food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage, and extra transportation expenses.

Insurance Commissioner Lara urges evacuees to contact their insurance company to verify their ALE coverage provision and limits and learn about requirements to use the coverage. It is critical to keep all receipts and document the date, time, and names of any insurance company employees you speak to regarding your coverage and details of the conversation.

Here are some additional tips for consumers:

  • Policy provisions, including deductibles, vary by company, and residents should check with their insurance company or agent as soon as possible to confirm coverage, limits, and any other limitations and documentation requirements. Most renter’s policies also typically include ALE coverage.
  • Consumers should make sure any insurance agent or public adjuster offering their services has a valid license by checking online with the Department of Insurance.
  • Download the Department’s Top 10 Tips for Wildfire Claimants.
  • Public adjusters cannot solicit business for seven calendar days after the disaster.
  • Don't forget copies of insurance policies, important papers, and a photo or video inventory of your possessions. An inventory can be completed quickly and easily on your smart phone and safely stored in the Cloud.

Commissioner Lara continues to look at all options to assist wildfire survivors and evacuees, including his sponsorship this year of Senate Bill 872 authored by Senator Bill Dodd, which expands the scope of ALE coverage in homeowners’ insurance policies after a declared wildfire emergency, clarifies policyholder rights if the policyholder decides to relocate rather than rebuild the destroyed home, and adopts other meaningful consumer protections to help ease the burden for homeowners and renters as they rebuild their homes and lives after a major catastrophic event.

# # #

Media Notes: 

  • Additional resources and information for consumers on wildfires are available from the California Department of Insurance. Download a free home inventory guide from the department website, or receive a hardcopy by calling the California Department of Insurance Consumer Hotline at 800-927-HELP (4357).
  • If you have any questions or need assistance, the California Department of Insurance is here to help. Please call: 1-800-927-4357 or visit
  • Additional contact information:
    • California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES): (916) 657-9494 or
    • California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE):
    • Federal Emergency Management Agency: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or
    • Contractors State License Board: 1-800-321-CSLB (2752) or
    • National Insurance Crime Bureau 1-888-815-9064 or

Led by Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara, the California Department of Insurance is the consumer protection agency for the nation's largest insurance marketplace and safeguards all of the state’s consumers by fairly regulating the insurance industry. Under the Commissioner’s direction, the Department uses its authority to protect Californians from insurance rates that are excessive, inadequate, or unfairly discriminatory, oversee insurer solvency to pay claims, set standards for agents and broker licensing, perform market conduct reviews of insurance companies, resolve consumer complaints, and investigate and prosecute insurance fraud. Consumers are urged to call 1-800-927-4357 with any questions or contact us at via webform or online chat. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800-927-4357. Teletypewriter (TTY), please dial 800-482-4833.

Google Translate