Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance

Southern California residents forced to evacuate could tap insurance for cost reimbursement

News: 2019 Press Release

For Release: October 11, 2019
Media Calls Only: 916-492-3566
Email Inquiries:
Southern California residents forced to evacuate could tap insurance for cost reimbursement
Residents urged to keep all receipts accrued during the evacuation and to contact their insurer

LOS ANGELES/RIVERSIDE, Calif. — A hundred thousand residents from Los Angeles and Riverside counties ordered to evacuate due to wildfires may have homeowner or renter insurance coverage to help with evacuation and relocation costs, even if their homes are not damaged or destroyed, and in many cases no deductible is required.

“Additional living expense coverage can help ease the financial and emotional toll an evacuation has on affected residents,” said Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara. “It is crucial that residents are aware of all the resources available to them. I encourage evacuees to contact their insurance agent or the Department of Insurance for assistance."

Many homeowners are unaware they may have insurance coverage under their homeowner and renter policies to help them with evacuation and recovery expenses under additional living expense coverage, known as ALE. ALE coverage typically includes food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage, and extra transportation expenses.

The department is urging evacuees to contact their insurer to verify their ALE coverage provision, limits and learn about requirements to use the coverage. It is critical to keep all receipts and document the date, time and names of any insurance company employees you speak to regarding your coverage and details of the conversation.

Here are some tips for consumers:

  • Keep all receipts accrued during the evacuation.
  • Policy provisions, including deductibles, vary by company, residents should check with their insurer or agent as soon as possible to confirm coverage, limits, and any other limitations and documentation requirements. Most renters' policies also typically include ALE coverage.
  • Consumer should make sure any insurance agent or public adjuster offering their services has a valid license by checking online with the Department of Insurance.
  • Public adjusters cannot solicit business for seven calendar days after the disaster.
  • Don't forget copies of insurance policies, important papers and a photo or video inventory of your possessions. An inventory can be completed quickly and easily on your smart phone and safely stored in the Cloud.

Media Notes: 


Led by Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara, the California Department of Insurance is the consumer protection agency for the nation's largest insurance marketplace and safeguards all of the state’s consumers by fairly regulating the insurance industry. Under the Commissioner’s direction, the Department uses its authority to protect Californians from insurance rates that are excessive, inadequate, or unfairly discriminatory, oversee insurer solvency to pay claims, set standards for agents and broker licensing, perform market conduct reviews of insurance companies, resolve consumer complaints, and investigate and prosecute insurance fraud. Consumers are urged to call 1-800-927-4357 with any questions or contact us at via webform or online chat. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800-927-4357. Teletypewriter (TTY), please dial 800-482-4833.

Google Translate