Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance

Continuing Education - Individual Licensee Information

Individual Licensee Information

The links below provide information for licensees to check the status of their continuing education credits, information on continuing education requirements as well as an education provider and course search. In addition, the last links informs the licensee on how an agent or broker can be exempt from taking continuing education courses.

Ethics Continuing Education Requirements

Additional Training Requirements for Life-Only and Accident and Health Agents

  • Annuity Training for Life-Only Agents
  • Long-Term Training for Accident and Health Agents

Pursuant to Section 10234.93(a)(4) of the California Insurance Code, each agent or other insurer representative authorized to solicit individual consumers for the sale of long-term care insurance shall satisfactorily complete the following training requirements that, for resident licensees, shall count toward the licensee's continuing education requirement, but may still result in completing more than the minimum number of continuing education hours set forth in this section:

(A) For licensees issued a license after January 1, 1992, eight hours of training in each of the first four 12-month periods beginning from the date of original license issuance and thereafter eight hours of training prior to each license renewal.

(B) For licensees issued a license before January 1, 1992, eight hours of training prior to each license renewal.

(C) For nonresident licensees that are not otherwise subject to the continuing education requirements set forth in Section 1749.3, the evidence of training required by this section shall be filed with and approved by the commissioner as provided in subdivision (g) of Section 1749.4.  

Licensees shall complete the initial training requirements of this section prior to being authorized to solicit individual consumers for the sale of long-term care insurance. All agents that sell long-term care products, who are exempt from continuing education requirements, must complete a long-term care course once during each term.

In addition, pursuant to Section 58056 of Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations, any agent marketing a Partnership Long-Term Care Insurance Policy or Certificate must complete eight (8) hours of education on long-term care in general that meet the requirements of Section 10234.93 of the California Insurance Code and eight (8) hours of training eight (8) hours of training in a live classroom setting on California Partnership for Long-Term Care.

 *Disclaimer - No course approved for either prelicensing or continuing education hours or any designation resulting from completion of such courses should be construed to be endorsed by the Commissioner.

Frequently Asked Questions

How to Reach Us

If you have any questions about the license information you retrieved, please see the most commonly asked questions in our License Questions and Answers section. If you need further assistance, please call CDI's Licensing Hotline at (800) 967-9331. The Licensing Hotline is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding State Holidays. You may also send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.

Google Translate