Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance

How Can I Get a Portable Electronics Insurance Agent License?

License Filing Requirements

Written Application

The applicant is required to complete an application. There are two types of application forms: business entity and individual. If the applicant is a business entity, form LIC 441-11 must be submitted. If the applicant is an individual, form LIC 441-9 must be submitted.

Insurer Notice of Appointment

The portable electronics insurance agent must be appointed by an authorized insurer. The insurer, or insurer's managing agent, must sign a notice of appointment form (LIC PE 1) stating that the insurer has satisfied itself that the named applicant is trustworthy and competent to act as its insurance agent limited to this purpose. The insurer will appoint the applicant to act as its agent to transact portable electronics insurance. (Section 1758.62(a)(2) of the California Insurance Code (CIC))

Training Requirement

Each portable electronics vendor licensed pursuant to this article shall provide for the training of its endorsees under a program developed by a licensed property and casualty broker or agent prior to allowing its endorsees to offer or sell insurance products. (Section 1758.63 (c) of the CIC).

Application Fee

An application fee of $321 must accompany the license application. The license is issued for a two-year period.

Where to File

Mail applicant filings with fees to: 

Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 1139
Sacramento CA 95814.

Reference: Sections 1758.6-1758.693 of the CIC

All filing fees submitted are not refundable, whether or not the application is acted upon.


Return to Portable Electronics Insurance Agent Licensing Main Page

Google Translate