Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance

Group Coverage: Information for Employees

Here are some things that you should know about your employer-based coverage

  • Your employer may offer one group policy or several.
  • You may have to pay part of your premium.
  • You may pay all of the premiums for your dependents if your employer offers dependent coverage.
  • Employers cannot impose a waiting period for coverage on new employees.
  • Ask your employer about the deadline for choosing health coverage.
  • Each year, usually in the fall, employers have an open enrollment period. This is when employees can sign up for or change their coverage for the next year.
  • If your employer offers more than one policy, you can only change it:
    1. during open enrollment; and
    2. if you have certain life events such as moving to a new state, getting married or having a child. Visit our Qualifying Life Events page for more information.

How do I choose between plans?

Start by asking these questions:

  • What are the costs?
  • Which providers and doctors can I see?
  • What are the benefits?
  • What is the quality?

Visit this page for more helpful information about choosing coverage that's best for you.

How do I file a complaint about my insurer?

If you have had a claim denied or if you are having a dispute with your insurer, you can call us at 1-800-927-4357 (HELP) or you can send us an online Request for Assistance.

Are you looking for insurance because you lost your job or left your employer?

If you have left employment, you may be eligible for something called continuation coverage. Visit our Continuation Coverage page for more information.

You can also compare the cost and benefits of your continuation coverage options with coverage you find on the individual/family market. The best source of information would be through a broker, Covered California, or directly from your insurance company. Remember that in order to qualify for a premium subsidy from the federal government, you have to purchase an individual/family policy through Covered California.

Visit our list of insurance companies offering individual/family health coverage in California.

Google Translate