Insurance Diversity Surveys & Reports
Current Surveys and Archive
In 2019, Commissioner Ricardo Lara sponsored Senate Bill (SB) 534 (Bradford) which was signed into law. SB 534 enacted the supplier diversity survey; expanded the definition of "Diverse Businesses" to include LGBT and veterans; and formally codified the governing board diversity survey, and Insurance Diversity Task Force. (California Insurance Code Section 927 et seq.)
The California Department (CDI) of Insurance began requesting insurance companies participation in a baseline survey to assess insurer diversity practices in 2011. All admitted insurers that wrote in excess of $100 million in California premiums, for experience year 2010, were encouraged to report. CDI continues to administer surveys designed to measure the progress of Insurer supplier and governing board diversity practices.
These first-in-the-nation insurance Diversity Surveys collect and publicly disseminate critical information about the state of diversity in the insurance industry. Company disclosures generate transparency of procurement through diverse suppliers, and the diversity of their corporate boards. CDI believes “What Gets Measured, Gets Done.” The mere act of asking insurance companies these questions, plants the seed of change. The data analysis has shown tremendous progress. Since 2012, survey results indicate a 126% increase in diverse spend by California insurers with diverse businesses, from $930 million to $2.1 billion.
- The California Insurance Diversity Survey (CAIDS) is administered biennially on July 1 of each even-numbered year. The next survey will be administered in 2022, and will include data from 2020 and 2021. If your company meets the minimum threshold amount, the government relations contact on file with the Department will be notified.
- The (CAIDS) mandates participation from admitted insurance companies with written California premiums of $100 million or more ($75 million or more as of January 2022) to submit a report with information regarding their supplier and governing board efforts.
- 2020 California Insurance Diversity Survey Resources
- Insurance Diversity Survey Portal - The portal offers you a convenient way to access survey results based on specified selection criteria.
- For a summary of the most recent survey results:
- Important Note: All data is self-reported by the respondents and is not verified by the Initiative; all data provided via the Insurance Diversity Survey Portal is a direct result of the data contained in the reports.
Facts at a Glance
General Fact Sheet | African American | American Indian | Asian Pacific Islander | Hispanic-Latino | LGBT | Veteran/Disabled Veteran | Women