Surveys & Reports
California Insurance Diversity Survey
In 2019, Commissioner Ricardo Lara sponsored Senate Bill (SB) 534 (Bradford) which was signed into law which enacted the supplier diversity survey, expanded the definition of diverse businesses to include LGBT and veterans, and formally codified the governing board diversity survey, and Insurance Diversity Task Force (California Insurance Code Section 927 et seq.)
Beginning in 2011, the California Department of Insurance requested insurance companies to participate in a baseline survey to assess insurer diversity practices. All admitted insurers that wrote in excess of $100 million in California premiums for experience year 2010 were encouraged to report. Since then, multiple surveys have been administered to insurers to measure the progress of their supplier and governing board diversity practices. These first-in-the-nation insurance Diversity Surveys collect and publicly disseminate critical information about the state of diversity in the insurance industry. Through the transparency of companies’ disclosures on their procurement of diverse suppliers and the diversity of their corporate boards, the Department believes “what gets measured gets done.” The mere act of even asking insurance companies these questions plants the seed of change while the data analysis has shown tremendous progress. Since 2012, survey results indicate a 93% growth in the amount of dollars that California insurers spend with diverse businesses from $930 million to $1.8 billion.
- The California Insurance Diversity Survey (CAIDS) mandates participation from admitted insurance companies with written California premiums of $100 million or more to submit a report with information regarding their supplier and governing board efforts.
- 2020 California Insurance Diversity Survey Resources
- Reporting Notifications are scheduled to be sent in April to the Government Relations contact on file with the Department. For more information, please contact us at CA.IDS@insurance.ca.gov
- UPDATE: Due to the ongoing developments surrounding the COVID-19 public health emergency that has resulted in unforeseen delays for insurance companies, California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara is granting an automatic extension for all insurance companies that will be subject to the reporting requirements pursuant to California Insurance Code section 927 et seq. This will extend the original reporting due date of July 1, 2020 to the new due date of July 31, 2020. All surveys must be completed and submitted by 11:59 PM (PST) on July 31, 2020.
- To view surveys, please visit the Insurance Diversity Survey Portal. The portal offers you a convenient way to access survey results, you may view the presentation for the 2018 Survey results.
- Important note: All data is self-reported by the respondents and it is not verified by the Initiative; all data provided via the Insurance Diversity Survey Portal is a direct result of the data contained in the reports.
Previous Surveys and Reports
2011 through 2018 Governing Board Diversity and Insurance Supplier Diversity Surveys and Reports
- 2018 Multistate Insurance Diversity Survey Resources
- 2017 Multistate Insurance Diversity Survey Resources