Information you need to know to protect yourself in any insurance transaction:
- Check to be sure your agent is licensed to sell insurance in California.
- Don't let your agent rush you into a decision. Take your time and understand.
- Don't let your sales agent "fill in the blanks" later.
- Avoid signing any contracts or agreements without reading the fine print. If you don't understand the language, don't sign until it's explained.
- It is O.K. to ask the tough questions: Would you be willing to explain your proposal to my Attorney, Accountant, Financial Advisor or my other friend in insurance?
- Don't be a victim by being nice. Con artists take advantage of good people like you and take advantage of your good manners. You are under no obligation to talk to them.
- If you are uncomfortable during the transaction for the purchase of insurance for any reason…STOP….
- Avoid paying with cash.
- Always obtain a receipt for monies paid.
- Get a copy of every form you sign!
- If you have purchased insurance, you will always receive a policy.
- A certificate of insurance always identifies the legal name of the insurance company.
- Beware of canceling an existing life insurance policy or an annuity for a "better one".
- If you are under 65 years of age, you get a 10-Day Free Look and if you are 65 and older, you get a 30-Day Free Look on life insurance products. Take advantage of it! Have family members or others that you trust examine it with you.
- It is O.K. to call your insurance company and verify your policy is in force.
- Remember, as a Consumer Protection Agency, we are here to help.
Information Guides that are aimed at assisting consumers with the purchase of insurance and related information.