Attention licensed agents, brokers and bail agents! The California Department of Insurance (CDI) offers a Free Application Online Renewal Service.
This online service guides the licensee, step-by-step, through the renewal process by asking the same questions that are stated on the traditional mail-in renewal application. The licensee is able to answer the questions online, update contact information (address, e-mail, etc), and submit a credit card (American Express, VISA, or MasterCard) or debit card (with the VISA or MasterCard logo) payment. There is no additional charge for the use of this service. Credit and debit card transactions are encrypted and no one but the licensee and his or her credit or debit card company has access to the credit card number.
The licensing record is updated on the CDI's Web site and the renewed license can immediately be printed using our Print or Download Your License service.*
All insurance producers and bail agents licensed by the California Department of Insurance, with the exception of Late Renewals, Insurance Adjusters, and Vehicle Service Contract Providers, can use this free online service.
Licensee must be within 90 days** prior to the renewal expiration date.
Before using CDI's Free Application Online Renewal Service, we recommend that you do the following:
- If you received your renewal email reminder that was sent to you by CDI, please have it available as it contains information that may help you renew your license online. The notice contains your license number and six-digit renewal ID number that is located on the upper right hand corner of the notice.
- If you did not receive your renewal notice, you may still use this service by providing the last four digits of your social security number, license number, and date of birth.
- Have a credit card (American Express, VISA, or MasterCard) or debit card (with the VISA or MasterCard logo) with you. Credit and debit card transactions are encrypted and no one but the licensee and his or her credit or debit card company has access to the card number.
- An email address is required.
- Be prepared to print your confirmation page that you will receive at the completion of the transaction. (For your convenience, an email confirmation will also be sent)
Go to Free Application Online Renewal Service to renew your license now.
If you need further assistance, please call the CDI's Producer Licensing Bureau at (800) 967-9331, or send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.
*Resident individual insurance producers who have not met the continuing education requirements may still complete the online renewal application and submit the fees; however, your license will not be renewed until the required continuing education hours are completed. The continuing education must be completed before the expiration date of your license. The CDI suggests that you complete your continuing education at least 60 days prior to the expiration of your license in order to allow sufficient time for the recording of your continuing education hours.
**If it is more than 90 days prior to the expiration of your license, you may not renew online at this time. If you attempt to complete this application more than 90 days prior to the expiration of the license, you will not be allowed to submit the renewal. Additionally, you may not renew online after the expiration of your license.