Information you need to know to protect yourself in any insurance purchase:
- Check to be sure your agent is licensed to sell insurance in California.
- Don't let your agent rush you into a decision. Take your time and know what you are buying.
- Don't let your sales agent "fill in the blanks" later.
- Avoid signing any contracts or agreements without reading the fine print. If you don't understand the language, don't sign until it's explained.
- It is O.K. to ask the tough questions: Would you be willing to explain your proposal to my Attorney, Financial Advisor, or my other friend in insurance?
- Don't be a victim by being nice. Con artists take advantage of good people like you and take advantage of your good manners. You are under no duty to talk to them.
- If you do not feel right during the purchase of insurance for any reason…STOP….
- Avoid paying with cash.
- Always obtain a receipt for monies paid.
- Get a copy of every form you sign!
- If you have purchased insurance, you will always receive a policy.
- A certificate of insurance always identifies the legal name of the insurance company.
- Beware of canceling an existing life insurance policy or an annuity for a "better one".
- If you are under 65 years of age, you get a 10-Day Free Look and if you are 65 and older, you get a 30-Day Free Look on life insurance products. Take advantage of it! Have family members or others that you trust examine it with you.
- It is O.K. to call your insurance company and verify your policy is in force.
- Remember, as a Consumer Protection Agency, we are here to help.
You may also search our Enforcement Actions to locate starting and concluding pleadings and documents for enforcement actions that the Department has taken against its licensees, including insurance companies, agents and brokers. For example, documents may include Accusations, Orders to Show Cause, Notices of Non-Compliance, Orders Adopting a Proposed Decision or Orders Adopting a Settlement Stipulation.
We invite you to view our Information Guides that are aimed at assisting consumers with the purchase of insurance and related information.