Survey of Transportation Network Company Insurance Coverage
Survey of California Transportation Network Company (TNC) Insurance Experience - Due July 1, 2017
Assembly Bill 2293 (Bonilla 2014) required the California Department of Insurance (CDI) and the California Public Utilities Commission to "collaborate on a study of transportation network company insurance to assess whether coverage requirements are appropriate to the risk of transportation network company services in order to promote data-driven decisions on insurance requirements, and shall report the findings of this study to the Legislature no later than December 31, 2017."
In order to meet this Legislative requirement, CDI is issuing this survey or data call to all personal and commercial auto insurers. Insurers that did not offer insurance to Transportation Network Companies (TNCs) or participating drivers will be able to simply check off the appropriate box on the Signature Page, sign, and e-mail us a scanned copy. They are exempt from the remainder of the survey. Personal or commercial auto insurers that did write insurance for TNCs or participating drivers are required to submit the whole survey.
Who is Required to Report?
- All property & casualty companies (regardless of their licensing status in California) having experience in California in the line of Private Passenger Auto Liability (Line 19.2), Private Passenger Physical Damage (Line 21.1), Other Commercial Auto Liability (19.4) or Commercial Physical Damage (Line 21.2) are to submit their report to us according to the General Instructions.
- Penalties for Non-Compliance: Companies that fail to submit the Signature Page, Questionnaire and the Data Collection Workbooks (if applicable) by the requested due date will be considered in non-compliance with California Insurance Code (CIC) Section 700(c) and will be referred to the Department's Legal Division for further action.
Step 1: Please refer to the General Instructions for its reporting specifications.
Step 2: This report is due July 1, 2017. Please submit the completed reports to: RSBTNC@insurance.ca.gov.
- Cover Letter (PDF)
- General Instructions (PDF)
- Signature Page (PDF) - Required by all California Auto Writers. Sign, Scan, and Return
- Questionnaire (Excel) - Required by all California Auto Writers that have TNC experience.
- Individual Claim Workbook (Excel) - Required by all California Auto Writers that have TNC experience.
- Policy Information Exhibit (Excel) - Required by all California Auto Writers that have TNC experience
For the documents in PDF, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it.