Updating Your Address
Report an Address Change Electronically
Address and contact information changes can be submitted electronically using the Online Address Change form. A California (CA) resident license cannot be obtained via an address change form.
Moving Out of California
CA residents moving out of state can keep their CA resident license if CA remains their principal place of business (Cal Ins. Code § 1638.2). If both the principal place of business and the resident address are not in California, agents must obtain a resident license from their new state before a non-resident license from CA can be issued. CA non-resident licenses cannot be issued without an active resident license in the new state.
To complete the process:
- Contact the new resident state's Department of Insurance for their requirements.
- The new state may require you to Cancel your CA license or ask for a Clearance Letter, both cancel your license.
- When the new license is issued, submit a Change of Address allowing 7 to 10 business days for processing. Your canceled California resident license will be reactivated as a nonresident license, valid for the remainder of its original license term.
Please note: You have 30 days from the date that your license is canceled to submit the Change of Address, or your license will remain inactive (Cal. Ins. Code §1639.1). It is also suggested that you complete any renewal requirements prior to canceling your license as you will not be able to pay for a license renewal while your license is inactive.
Moving Into California
If you have the following:
- Hold a resident license in another state
- Are moving into California
- Have an active non-resident license in CA
You may be exempted from taking a license examination and only required to complete the CA 12 hour CA Code and Ethics prelicensing course and meet the fingerprinting requirement to successfully apply for a resident license. (Cal. Ins. Code §1749 (h) and (i))
To complete the process:
- Apply for a non-resident license in CA (if you do not already have one).
- Take the 12-hour CA Code and Ethics Prelicensing course.
- Complete the fingerprint requirements (unless this was done previously to obtain a non-resident license): California Resident Licensing Fingerprint Requirements
- Apply for a California resident license.
Please note: If you have an active non-resident license, changing to a resident license will not change the expiration date of the license. Fees paid for a resident license will be applied to convert your license to resident, not to extending the length of the license period. Pending non-resident license renewals should be completed before converting to a California resident.