Application Procedures-Individual Residents
Follow the steps noted below to schedule your license examination and complete an application online:
1) Prelicensing Education
Complete the 20-hours of Limited Lines Automobile prelicensing education requirements by selecting and registering for a Limited Lines Automobile prelicensing education course using the California Department of Insurance’s Education and Provider Course search. You must also complete the 12 hours of ethics education to satisfy the 32 hour prelicensing education requirements.
- Select an education provider and register for a course that is online or in a classroom. You can register on-line or call the education provider directly.
- Print and study the Limited Lines Automobile Educational Objectives document(s) from the California website and cross reference with the materials provided by the education provider.
Exemptions from general insurance prelicensing classroom courses:
- Applicants for a life-only agent license, accident and health license, personal lines broker-agent license, limited lines automobile insurance agent license, property broker-agent license and casualty broker-agent license, who are currently licensed as non-residents in California shall be required to complete only 12 hours of study on ethics and California Insurance Code. (Sections 1749 (g) and (h)), or;
- An applicant holding any of the following designations: a Life Underwriter Training Council Fellowship (LUTCF), Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS), Fellow, Life Management Institute (FLMI), Health Insurance Associate (HIA), Registered Employee Benefits Consultant (REBC) or Registered Health Underwriter (RHU) is exempt from the 20 hours of prelicensing education.
2) Schedule and take license examination
Once the pre-licensing coursework requirements have been completed, schedule an appointment to take the Limited Lines Auto license examination. PSI now provides license applicants who are required to take a license examination with the option to take a remote online proctored license examination (remote testing) for all insurance licensing examinations.
Fingerprint technicians will be available at CDI’s license examination site located in Los Angeles or at PSI’s 20 test centers that are located throughout California. The Live Scan Service Request form, BCIA 8016 and License Applicant Instruction Form 442-39A, is given to the applicants when they are seated to take the license examination.
4) License Application
After passing the license examination, go to sircon.com to submit an electronic license application. If documents are required please attach those documents to the electronic license application or these documents can be submitted to the National Insurance Producer Registry’s Attachments Warehouse or they can be submitted by via U.S. Mail – Applicants may mail documents to the following address:
California Dept. of Insurance
Attn: Online Line Application
320 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814
License applicants can check the status of a license application by going to the California Department of Insurance Check License Application Status Services (CLASS).