Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance


License Information

Minimum Age: 18 years

Residency: California residency is not required

Entity Types: Individual and Business Entity

Prelicensing Experience/Education:

  1. Requires a minimum of 20 hours of approved prelicensing study.
  • A new California resident applicant who had a current Life license in another state within the last 90 days and has a current non-resident license in California, or an applicant holding any of the following designations: a Life Underwriter Training Council Fellowship (LUTCF), Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS), Charted Financial Consultant (ChFC), Certified Financial Planner (CFP) or Fellow, Life Management Institute (FLMI), is exempt from the 20 hours of prelicensing education.
  1. Requires 12 hours of approved prelicensing study on ethics and the California Insurance Code.
    When an applicant seeks both the Property and Casualty Broker-Agent license and the Life license, the applicant shall only be required to complete one 12-hour course on ethics and the California Insurance Code.  (See Section 1749(d) of the California Insurance Code.)

Continuing Education:

  1. Licensee shall satisfactorily complete approved courses or programs of instruction or attend seminars equivalent to 24 hours of instruction during each two-year license period, including at least 3 hours of ethics training, before their license may be renewed.
  2. Any person who is 70 years of age or older and who has been licensed for 30 continuous years in California as a licensee in good standing in this state, may be exempt from the continuing education requirement (Section 1749.3(c) of the California Insurance Code).

Continuing Education Exemption Revision

The exemption from the continuing education requirement for licensees 70 years of age and in good standing for 30 continuous years does not apply to those individuals licensed for the first time on or after January 1, 2010. (CIC Section 1749.3 (c))


Google Translate