Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance
CA Department of Insurance

Continuing Education Hours Frequently Asked Questions

Provider Questions & Answers  

  • How should a Provider report the prelicensing and/or CE hours taken by my students?

    Course completion hours are reported using Sircon, Powered by Vertafore (Sircon). Sircon offers Education Providers an online program for submitting provider rosters. The online roster service assists Education Providers in reporting their provider rosters for prelicensing and continuing education courses. Prelicensing rosters must be reported within 10 days of the course completion date and continuing education rosters must be submitted within 30 days.

  • Can a Provider give partial credit to a student who has completed a portion of the course?

    No. Each course is approved for a specific number of credit hours. For example, if a prelicensing course is approved for 52 hours, providers should not enroll a student who only needs 12 hours of code and ethics. This person should enroll in an code and ethics course that is approved for 12 hours.
  • Is it mandatory that we use the Attendance Record Sheet designed by the Department?

    No. You may design your own attendance form as long as all the major elements such as name; signature; social security number; license number; time-in and time-out, provider name and number; course title and number; date, time, location of the course, etc. are included.
  • What recourse do I have if a student's check is returned for "non- sufficient funds"?

    Do not include the student's name on the provider roster. If the check is cleared after the roster has been submitted, send in another roster with just that student's name with a letter of explanation.

Agent Questions & Answers

  • Can I receive partial credit from a Provider if I complete a portion of a course?

    No. When you take a course, the course is  approved for a specific number of credit hours.
  • How do I know how many continuing education hours I will need to renew my license?

    Licensees may check the status of their continuing education requirements using the License Status Inquiry page.
  • My license recently renewed and the excess hours I completed (on-time) were not credited (carried-forward).

    A new continuing education cycle will begin the day after the expiration date listed on your renewal form. Once the new cycle begins, the excess hours should be reflected in the new license term. 
  • My license was renewed late and I completed excess hours. Will they be credited towards my next renewal?

    Education hours completed when a license has expired or is inactive can be used to reinstate an inactive license. Excess hours completed while a license is inactive will be credited towards the appropriate license term.
  • How often can I repeat a course for continuing education credit?

    Courses can only be duplicated for continuing education credit if the completion dates are in a different two-year license term.

Disclaimer - No course approved for either prelicensing or continuing education hours or any designation resulting from completion of such courses should be construed to be endorsed by the Commissioner.

If you need further assistance, please call or email the California Department of Insurance's (CDI) Education Unit at (916) 492-3064 or Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number, and e-mail address in all correspondence with CDI.

Google Translate