Insurance Diversity Task Force
The Insurance Diversity Task Force (IDTF) considers and makes recommendations about diversity in the insurance industry. Specifically, the mission of the Task Force is to:
- Advise the Department of Insurance with member area(s) of expertise on Department initiatives to increase procurement with diverse suppliers and diversity on governing boards;
- Identify and promote insurance companies that are actively engaged in diversity issues;
- Explore the status of diverse representation on insurance company governing boards; and
- Provide recommendations to increase supplier or governing board diversity, which may include suggested changes to existing law.
For more information about the Insurance Diversity Initiative, visit the Insurance Diversity webpage.
The Commissioner appoints a minimum 12, maximum 15 members. At least:
- 2 Insurance Industry Representatives; including one who currently serves as a practitioner in the field of supplier diversity (i.e., Supplier Diversity Manager or Chief Procurement Officer)
- 3 Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) Advocates/Representatives
- 2 Women Business Enterprise (WBE) Advocates/Representatives
- 1 Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) Advocate/Representative or Veteran Owned Business (VOB)
- 1 Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Business Enterprise (LGBTBE) Advocate/Representative
- 1 Diverse Business Owner Representative
- 1 Supplier Diversity Advocate/Expert
- 1 Governing Board Diversity Advocate/Expert
- Term length: 2 years; unlimited terms
- Meetings: quarterly, in Sacramento with videoconferencing in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Members commit to attending, at minimum, 2 of the 4 scheduled meetings.
- Compensation: Members may be reimbursed for travel expenses related to attendance at meetings, but are not otherwise compensated for their services.
- FPPC Form 700 Statement of Economic Interest filing required: No
Must possess background or experience in supplier diversity and/or governing board diversity work. Expertise pertaining specifically to the insurance industry is highly desirable.
- (1) Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) Advocate/Representative
- (1) Women Business Enterprise (WBE) Advocate/Representative
- (2) members from any of the eight categories listed above
To apply: Please visit our Application for Appointment page to submit an application. Qualified applicants that reflect the diversity of the State of California, including women and minorities, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline for application: January 15, 2018
The Task Force is led by a Chair and Vice-Chair. Task Force Members nominate and vote for the positions of Chair and Vice Chair annually at the 2nd quarterly meeting.
Interested in serving on a board or committee? Visit our Boards and Committees page for more information!