COVID 19 Premium Refund Reporting
For Reporting Periods: June, July, August, and Overall Totals
On 6/25/2020, the California Department of Insurance ("Department") issued a new Bulletin 2020-8 to extend the reporting periods in Bulletin 2020-3 to cover the month of June, and potentially the months of July and August of 2020 on Premium Refunds, Credits, and Reductions in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. As part of Bulletin 2020-8, insurers writing business in the lines of insurance identified in Bulletin 2020-3 must submit a report to the Department no later than October 1, 2020 that covers the month of June and potentially the months of July and August as conditions warrant..
As stated in the Bulletin, the report must include "all actions taken and contemplated future actions to refund premium in response to or consistent with this Bulletin. The report shall include California-specific information and an explanation and justification for the amount and duration of any premium refund, and how those measures reflect the actual or expected reduction of exposure to loss." To satisfy the reporting requirement, an Excel Reporting Form Application has been created and can be downloaded below. A report must be completed and returned to RSBCovid19PR@insurance.ca.gov no later than October 1, 2020.
Who is Required to File?
- All admitted and nonadmitted property & casualty and workers compensation insurers who operate in California.
What are the Reporting Requirements?
- Cover Page - To be filled out by all CA admitted and nonadmitted companies, and companies transacted through a surplus line broker.
- Questionnaire - To be filled out by all CA admitted and nonadmitted companies, and companies transacted through a surplus line broker.
- Explanatory Memorandum - To be filled out only by companies that write in one of the six lines identified in the Bulletin and/or other line(s) impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic regardless whether a refund is involved.
- Worksheet - To be filled out only by companies that write in one of the six lines identified in the Bulletin and/or other line(s) impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic when a refund is involved.
Reporting Forms and Instructions Download
- COVID-19 Premium Refund Reporting Form Application [XLSX format]
- Cover Letter / General Instructions [PDF format]
- Reporting Forms Instructions [PDF format]
Where to return your completed Forms and supporting documents?
- Completed Forms contained in the Excel file and other supporting documents should be submitted to the Rate Specialist Bureau of the California Department of Insurance at email address: RSBCovid19PR@insurance.ca.gov.
- Any questions, please feel free to e-mail RSBCovid19PR@insurance.ca.gov.
A current Acrobat Reader is needed to view documents in PDF. Visit our Free Readers and Apps page.