CA COVID 19 Bulletin 2020-3 Reporting
For the Reporting Year 2020
On April 13, 2020, the California Department of Insurance ("Department") issued Bulletin 2020-3 on Premium Refunds, Credits, and Reductions in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic. As part of the Bulletin, insurers writing business in the lines of insurance identified in the Bulletin must submit a report to the Department within 60 days of the date of the Bulletin.
As stated in the Bulletin, the report must include "all actions taken and contemplated future actions to refund premium in response to or consistent with this Bulletin. The report shall include California-specific information and an explanation and justification for the amount and duration of any premium refund, and how those measures reflect the actual or expected reduction of exposure to loss." To satisfy the reporting requirement, an Excel Reporting Form has been created and can be downloaded below. A report must be completed and returned to RSBCovid19PR@insurance.ca.gov no later than June 12, 2020.
Who is Required to File?
- All admitted and nonadmitted property & casualty and workers compensation insurers who operate in California.
What are the Reporting Requirements?
- Cover Page - To be filled out by all CA admitted and nonadmitted companies, and companies transacted through a surplus line broker.
- Questionnaire - To be filled out by all CA admitted and nonadmitted companies, and companies transacted through a surplus line broker.
- Explanatory Memorandum - To be filled out only by companies that write in one of the six lines identified in the Bulletin and/or other line(s) impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic regardless whether a refund is involved.
- Worksheet - To be filled out only by companies that write in one of the six lines identified in the Bulletin and/or other line(s) impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic when a refund is involved.
Reporting Forms and Instructions Download
- COVID-19 Bulletin 2020-3 Reporting Forms [XLSX format]
- Cover Letter / General Instructions [PDF format]
- Reporting Forms Instructions [PDF format]
Where to return your completed Forms and supporting documents?
- Completed Forms contained in the Excel file and other supporting documents should be submitted to the Rate Specialist Bureau of the California Department of Insurance at email address: RSBCovid19PR@insurance.ca.gov.
- Any questions, please feel free to e-mail RSBCovid19PR@insurance.ca.gov.
A current Acrobat Reader is needed to view documents in PDF. Visit our Free Readers and Apps page.