Certificate of Authority Section 5
Referrals to Other Agencies & Resources
You may need additional authorizations, beyond receiving a Certificate of Authority from the California Insurance Commissioner, to actually operate your business in California. The information provided in this section is intended to assist you with obtaining all necessary approvals.
- California Secretary of State
- Workers' Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau
- Legal References
- County and Other Local Agencies
California Secretary of State
Corporate Filing and Services Division
1500 11th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814.
Recorded information is provided at 916-657-5448.
Applicant's requesting authority to transact workers' compensation insurance must join the Workers' Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau (WCIRB). To subscribe to the WCIRB, submit your request in writing to:
Workers' Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau
525 Market Street, Suite 800
San Francisco, CA 94105-2716
- Similarly, a copy of the California Code of Regulations may be purchased from Barclay's Law Publishers by calling 800-888-3600 or writing to:
Barclay's Law Publishers
P.O. Box 3066
South San Francisco, CA 94083.
- Department Bulletins may be obtained, free of charge, from the Department by calling 415-538-4031, or writing to:
California Department of Insurance
45 Fremont Street, 24th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105.
- Bulletins can also be purchased from the National Insurance Law Service (NILS) Publishing Company by calling 800-423-5910 or writing to:
NILS Publishing Company
21625 Prairie Street
Chatsworth, CA 91311.
If you plan on locating operations in California, it is recommended that you ascertain and comply with applicable local and county requirements prior to commencing operations. Contact either the local city or county government, or the local chamber of commerce, for assistance. You can reach the California Chamber of Commerce at 916-444-6320 for help with locating the appropriate local chamber.