Certificate of Authority Section 2
Instructions and Format for Submission of ApplicationTo facilitate the prompt review of your application, we require all Certificate of Authority applications to be filed with the department in a standardized format. Please ensure that your application adheres to the formatting instructions provided in this section. Applications which fail to meet these formatting requirements will not be accepted for filing.
- Cover Letter
- Filing Fee
- Application and Supporting Documents
- Application Checklist
- Returned Applications
- Correspondence with the Department
- Submitting Your Application
- Detailed Guidelines
- The classes of insurance you are applying for;
- The applicant's name, address, telephone and facsimile number;
- The applicant's state of domicile;
- The name, address, telephone and facsimile number of an individual who is authorized to represent the applicant before the department. We recommend that if the representative is not employed by the applicant, that a company contact person also be identified in order to facilitate requests for financial information. If the contact person is subsequently changed, the applicant should inform the department as soon as possible;
- A listing of all other applications filed by the applicant, or any of its affiliates, which are pending before the department;
- A detailed explanation of any special circumstances not covered by the documents submitted in support of the application; and
- Authorization for automatic withdrawal, should the applicant fail to meet State I criteria.*
*Note: Authorizes withdrawal by the department, in lieu of receiving formal denial, should the applicant fail to meet Stage I pre-qualification requirements. Applicants automatically withdrawn will receive a written notice confirming the action and indicating the deficiencies in their application that led to the withdrawal. No applicants who pass the Stage I review will be automatically withdrawn.
In addition to submitting a complete original and duplicate copy of the application, you must also submit an additional copy of Item 7 (Individual Affidavits) and Item 8 (Organizational Affidavit). The additional copies of Items 7 and 8 will allow for a simultaneous review of the affidavits by the department's Investigations Bureau.
You will also need to submit an original and two copies of Item 42 (Rate Filing - General) or Item 43 (Rate Filing - Workers' Compensation), whichever applies, to be forwarded to our Rate Filing Bureau.
Each item identified in Section III, "Documents Required for Certificate of Authority Application," should have a cover sheet as specified below.
- Each cover sheet should be on paper suitable for use as a cover sheet, such as binder divider pages.
- Each cover sheet needs to be tabbed on the right-hand side of the page with a number corresponding to the document's item number in Section III.
- If a particular item is not included with the cover sheet, a written explanation stating the reason the item has not been included must be attached to the cover sheet. Set forth below are examples of why a particular item may not be attached to the cover sheet.
- "Item not applicable to this application for the following reason...(state reason)";
- "Item has been attached separately because of size."
Helpful Hint: Many applicants find it convenient to submit the original and duplicate copies of their application in separate binders with numerical binder divider tabs.
The completed checklist should be attached to the top of the application.
Prior to receiving the names of the department personnel assigned to your application, you may call the department's Corporate Affairs Bureau at 415-538-4035 for status information, or the department's Financial Analysis Division at 213-346-6444.
Submit your completed application by mailing it to:
California Department of Insurance
Legal Division - Corporate Affairs Bureau
45 Fremont Street, 24th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105.
In addition, all carriers admitted to transact insurance in California are required to maintain their Certificate of Authority in good order to ensure ongoing compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and bulletins.
If you have questions about any of the documents required, we encourage you to contact the department's Corporate Affairs Bureau by calling (415) 538-4035 or sending your written inquiry to the bureau at 45 Fremont Street, 24th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105.Back to Top