California Resident Licensing Fingerprint Requirements
Fingerprint impressions are required for all unlicensed applicants.
Applicants may obtain their fingerprint impressions prior to taking the examination.
Obtaining the fingerprint impressions beforehand will minimize the risk that the license issuance will be delayed while awaiting the results from both the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
- If you would like to have your fingerprint impressions taken before your license examination, you may schedule your fingerprint impressions using CDI's contracted fingerprint vendor, Accurate Biometrics at (866) 361-9944 to find a fingerprint location near you to have your fingerprints taken. When you go to have your fingerprint impressions made, please bring with you a completed Live Scan Request, form LIC 442-39A.
- At the time that the applicant takes the license examination at the designated examination site, the applicant may also have fingerprint impressions made.
- At CDI's examination sites, CDI's contracted fingerprint vendor, Accurate Biometrics, will have an authorized technician available to complete the fingerprint impression requirement. The total processing fee for the fingerprint impressions taken at the exam site will be $58.30 which includes the FBI processing fee of $17, DOJ processing fee of $32, and the CDI's contractor's rolling fee of $9.30. Please make check payable to Accurate Biometrics. The applicant may also pay by money order, cashier's check, personal check or VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card. Cash will not be accepted.
- At PSI's test centers, the L-1 Solutions fingerprint vendor will also have an authorized fingerprint technician available to complete the fingerprint impression requirement. At PSI's test centers, the total processing fee for the fingerprint impressions taken by L-1 Solutions is $68.95 which includes the FBI processing fee of $17, DOJ processing fee of $32, and the rolling fee charged by L-1 at PSI's test centers of $19.95. The $68.95 fee is to be paid at the PSI test center. Please make the money order, cashier's check, company check payable to PSI. Personal checks and cash will not be accepted at PSI's test centers. PSI also accepts VISA and MasterCard.
- The DOJ maintains a listing of authorized Live Scan Fingerprinting vendors that are available to California resident license applicants. The DOJ list is broken down by county.
Applicants using a vendor on this list will need to pay a fingerprint fee that covers the following services: FBI processing fee of $17, DOJ processing fee of $32, and an additional "rolling fee" charged by the DOJ authorized vendor. The additional "rolling fee" will vary depending on the vendor and is noted on DOJ's listing of authorized Live Scan Fingerprinting vendors. License applicants are encouraged to contact the Live Scan provider in advance to verify their current operating hours, location, fees, and their acceptable method of payment (i.e. credit card, cash, ATM).
To ensure that your fingerprint impressions are properly recorded, the applicant must pay the applicable fee and do the following:
- Complete the Request for Live Scan Service form LIC 442-39A*.
- Take your completed Request for Live Scan Service form to the live scan vendor.
- Complete the fingerprint impressions.
- Retain a copy of the Request for Live Scan Service form LIC 442-39A* for your records. Give the copy of the form to the live scan service vendor who will provide you with the Automated Transaction Identifier (ATI) number that is assigned to your fingerprint impressions. If your fingerprint impressions are rejected, the ATI number will allow for you to have your fingerprint impressions redone at no charge.
In addition, if a license is not issued within twelve months of the date the fingerprints are submitted, a new set of fingerprint impressions will be required.
Please note: Nonpayment of the fingerprint fee or failure to submit the fingerprint impressions will delay the processing of your application. The fingerprint requirement must be fulfilled prior to the issuance of your license.
Checking on Status of Fingerprint Submission. Please allow a minimum of seven days from the date fingerprint impressions were taken before making a status inquiry. If you need to check the status of your fingerprints, below are the steps to follow:
Applicants should check first with the California Department of Insurance (CDI) at (800) 967-9331 since the Department of Justice (DOJ) sends results directly to the CDI.
The DOJ or FBI may need to manually process the fingerprint impressions. This process may delay the reporting of results.
If the CDI does not yet have results, you must use the DOJ's automated telephone system to check on your submission by calling their 24-hour Automated Telephone service at (916) 227-4557. You will need the following information before placing the call:
- Your date of birth (i.e. 01/01/1975); and,
- The 10-digit Automated Transaction Identifier (ATI) number that appears at the bottom of the DOJ form requesting Live Scan fingerprint background checks. The ATI number always appears in the following sequence: 1 Letter; 3 Numbers; 3 Letters and 3 Numbers. This number will allow the DOJ's automated telephone service to check on the status of your fingerprints.
When your fingerprint impressions are processed, the DOJ's recording will state the following, "The California level of services and/or FBI level of services were completed on [date]." The level of service is the request for a background check to be completed by both the DOJ and the FBI. However, if the recording states that the fingerprint results are still in process, please continue to contact the DOJ's 24-hour Automated Telephone service at (916) 227-4557.
*These forms are in PDF format. To view these forms, your browser must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. A free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from the Free Document Readers website.
If you have examination scheduling questions, please call PSI at (877) 392-6422 to speak with a Consumer Service Representative Monday through Friday between 4:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and Saturday, between 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., Pacific Time. For all other license questions, please call the CDI's Producer Licensing Bureau at (800) 967-9331.