Agents & Brokers Overview
Producer Online Services
Applying for a License
Seeking Pre-Licensing / Continuing Education
Producer Background Information
Producer Licensing Forms
Renewing a License
Non-Resident License Renewal
Checking License Status
Updating Licensee Info
Applying to Become an Approved Education Provider
AGENTS & BROKERS: Insurance License Applicant Information
- The License Types and Requirements page provides information on each license type. This information includes the necessary license forms, qualifications, requirements, and fees for each license type.
- Go to the Fast Licensing Application Service is Here (FLASH) for both resident and nonresident applicants to apply for an insurance license online. This link takes the viewer to the procedures of how to file an application online. If you already know how to use the online application service, you may select the following link to go directly to the FLASH online application.
- : CDI allows the fingerprint impressions to be submitted at anytime prior to taking the license examination, even before submitting the license application.
- This Web page provides the business entity applicant with the application requirements, fees, forms, and criteria for approval of a business name. The types of Insurance Licenses covered in this procedure include: Life-Only Agent (LO), Accident and Health (AH), Property Broker-Agent (PR), Casualty Broker - Agent (CA), Limited Lines Automobile Insurance Agent (AU), Personal Lines Broker-Agent (PL), Motor Club Agent (MC), Registered Administrator (RA), Surplus Line Broker (SL), Credit Insurance Agent (CI), Special Lines' Surplus Line Broker (SP), Life and Disability Insurance Analyst (LA), and Cargo Shippers' Agent (CS).
- This Web page informs agents and brokers about the law on the penalties for transacting without a license, education provider monetary penalties for noncompliance, and more importantly the requirement for insurance producer applicants and licensees to notify the Insurance Commissioner in writing, within 30 days, of changes in background information after an application has been submitted or a license has been issued. This law took effect on January 1, 2005.
This Web page provides information regarding 18 U.S.C. §1033 including the California Department of Insurance 's filing requirements, fees, and application forms.
- The links on this page provide access to the online examination scheduling, maps to examination locations, examination times, the proper identification needed for admittance to an examination, how the examination is administered, fingerprint requirements and how to reschedule/retake an examination.
Per Section 1681.5(b) of the California Insurance Code, willfully cheating or subverting a license examination is punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000 or imprisonment not to exceed one year.
- This Web page provides a license applicant with the date that the California Department of Insurance's (CDI) Producer Licensing Bureau is processing applications and renewals.
- This Web page provides the nonresident applicant and licensee with the application requirements, fees, fingerprint impression requirements, renewal fees and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Reach Us
If you have any questions about this form or the license information you retrieved, please see the most commonly asked questions in our License Questions and Answers section. If you need further assistance, please call CDI's Producer Licensing Bureau at (800) 967-9331. The Call Center is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding State Holidays. You may also send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.