Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance

Questions and Answers

1. If I am currently a Property/Casualty Broker-Agent, do I need to get a Personal Lines Broker-Agent License?

No, you are already authorized to transact all of the coverages that the Personal Lines Broker-Agent is licensed to sell.

2. Do I have to complete the personal lines broker-agent prelicensing 32-hour course if I have already completed the property and casualty prelicensing 52-hour course?

No, the property/casualty broker agent prelicensing certificate of complete will satisfy the personal lines broker-agent prelicensing 32-hour course requirement.

3. What are the license fees to be a Personal Lines Broker-Agent?

An application fee of $170 must accompany the license application. If an exam is required a $50 fee is required to schedule the examination. If fingerprints are required there is also a fingerprint processing fee.

4. Do I need to complete continuing education hours?

Yes. The licensee must complete a total of twenty four hours of continuing education hours, including at least three hours of ethics training, every two-year license term to satisfy the continuing education requirement for the Personal Lines Broker-Agent License. 

5. If I am licensed in another state, how can I be a personal lines agent for California?

A personal lines broker-agent license may be issued to a non-resident if the non-resident is licensed to transact automobile, residential (this includes, earthquake and flood insurance), personal watercraft, and umbrella or excess liability insurance under the laws of the state or province of Canada wherein he or she resides.

6. What is my license term?

Pursuant to Section 1630 of the California Insurance Code, licenses are issued for two year terms. Specifically, the term of the first license begins the date the license is issued and ends the last day of that same calendar month two years later. Any additional licenses issued at a later date will expire at the same time as the initial license.

7. Can a Personal Lines Broker-Agent act as a solicitor?

Yes, the applicant must file the Action Notice of Solicitor form LIC 417-31 with a $29 fee after the license is issued. The employer may be either a sole proprietor (individual) or a business entity.

8. What are the requirements for a personal lines broker-agent to upgrade to a property/casualty broker-agent license?

A personal lines broker-agent licensee who would like to apply to become a property/casualty broker-agent license is required to complete a minimum of 20-hours prelicensing study on commercial lines. The licensee will not be required to repeat the 12 hours of ethics and code prelicensing study. After completing the 20-hours of prelicensing study, the personal lines broker-agent is required to take an examination on commercial lines.

9. What are the continuing education requirements if a licensee has both a Life Agent license and a Personal Lines Broker-Agent License? 

If you also hold a Life-Only Agent license with the Personal Lines Broker-Agent, the total due for both licenses is twenty-four hours of continuing education, including at least three hours of ethics training, for every two-year license term.

If you need further assistance, please call CDI's Licensing Hotline at (800) 967-9331, or send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.

Font Size: Translate: Español