Continuing Education and Training Requirements
A. Life-only agents, accident and health agents, property broker-agents, casualty broker-agents, or personal lines broker-agents:
1. Complete a minimum of 24 continuing education (CE) credit hours for the license type during each two-year license term. Life-only agents, accident and health agents, property or casualty broker-agents must also complete four hours of ethics CE training every license term as a part of the requirements. Personal lines broker-agents must complete two hours of ethics CE training every license term as part of the requirements.
For those licensees who hold one or more of the above named license types, the 24 hours of CE may be completed in courses applicable for any of the license types held.
2. Additional training requirements are required for the sale of Long-Term Care Insurance or Annuities or for Homeowners' Insurance Valuation.
a. Accident and health agents who solicit individuals for the sale of Long-Term Care (LTC) Insurance must meet the requirements of CIC Section 10234.93 which mandates that individuals authorized to sell LTC insurance must complete an eight-hour LTC course prior to soliciting individual consumers for the sale of LTC insurance. Additionally, newly licensed agents must complete eight hours of LTC training every year for the first four years that they are licensed. Beginning in the fifth year that they are licensed, licensees are required to complete eight hours of LTC training every two-year license term.
b. Life-only agents who solicit individuals for the sale of Annuities must complete an initial eight-hour specifically designated Annuity training course prior to soliciting individual consumers; thereafter, complete a four-hour specifically designated Annuity training course every two year license term.
c. Every California resident property broker-agent, casualty broker-agent or personal lines broker-agent who has not completed a Homeowners' Insurance Valuation training course must satisfactorily complete one three-hour training course on homeowners' insurance valuation meeting the requirements of this section prior to estimating the replacement value of structures in connection with, or explaining the various levels of coverage under, a homeowners' insurance policy. For resident broker-agents, this requirement shall be part of, and not in addition to, the continuing education requirements of Insurance Code section 1749.3. The Homeowners' Insurance Valuation training course needs to be taken only once in order to satisfy the requirements
B. Limited lines automobile insurance agent
1. Complete a minimum of 20 hours of CE each license term, including two hours of ethics CE training. The license term is defined as the two-year period beginning on the date the license was originally issued and ends two years later on the last day of the month that the license was originally issued.
2. An individual licensed as a limited lines automobile agent must complete a minimum of 20 hours of CE each two year license term.
C. Non-resident license holders:
1. Home state has CE requirements:
a. Existing licenses will be renewed and new licenses can be issued if the home state's requirements are met. In addition, the specific LTC and Annuity requirements must also be met if the licensee solicits individuals for the sale of LTC insurance or Annuity products. Please see item number 2 above for specific requirements.
Disclaimer - No course approved for either prelicensing or continuing education hours or any designation resulting from completion of such courses should be construed to be endorsed by the Commissioner.