Application Process - First, Pass Your Examination FAQs
Application Process - Frequently Asked Questions
The California Department of Insurance (CDI) requires California resident applicants to first pass the qualifying license examination prior to submitting their license application.
This affects California residents applying for any license in which an examination is required (i.e., life, accident and health, property, casualty, personal lines, limited lines automobile, and life limited to funeral and burial expenses). CDI's online application service Fast Licensing Application Service is Here (FLASH) requires applicants to enter a unique 12-digit identification number which is located on the upper left corner of the passed examination letter. FLASH only allows the application to be submitted if the applicant enters the correct identification number and has passed the examination, not just scheduled the examination. Consequently, for an application to be accepted, the applicant's identification number entered must be identical to the identification number that is stated on the passed examination letter.
The identification number consists of the applicant's last four digits of his or her social security number (e.g., 7777), followed by the two-digit birth month (e.g., 01), followed by the two-digit birth day (e.g., 02), and finally, the four-digit birth year (e.g., 1963). In this example, the 12-digit identification number would be 777701021963. The online application service will only allow the application to be submitted if the identification number is correct and you passed your license examination.
Below are responses to frequently asked questions that may assist you.
1) What are the steps for me to take an examination and submit a license application?
- Complete the required prelicensing education and schedule your examination through PSI Services, LLC at the following link: PSI's Examination Scheduling Service;
- Once you pass the examination, you will be given a "passed examination letter" at the examination site which includes the 12-digit identification number that is located in the upper left corner of your "passed examination letter";
- If you have not been fingerprinted, get your fingerprints taken at the live scan vendor located at the examination site;
- The day after you pass your examination, you may submit your license application through the California Department of Insurance's (CDI) online license application service, Fast Licensing Application Service is Here (FLASH). FLASH's first page, the identification number page, provides a space for you to insert the 12-digit identification number that is located on the upper left corner of your "passed examination letter."
2) What is the purpose of the identification number on my passed examination letter?
The 12-digit identification number verifies that you passed your license examination and that you are now eligible to submit an application using CDI's online license application service, Fast Licensing Application Service is Here (FLASH).
3) When will I insert the identification number on the license application?
The first page of CDI's online license application service, Fast Licensing Application Service is Here (FLASH) will prompt you to insert your identification number. The identification number is a 12-digit number that is located on the upper left corner of your passed examination letter.
Your identification number must be identical to the identifier that is stated on your passed examination letter. CDI's online license application service, Fast Licensing Application Service is Here (FLASH) will only allow the application to be submitted if you enter the correct identification number and you passed the license examination.
However, if you are a California non-resident applicant or you are applying for a license that does not require an examination, then you will not be provided with an identification number. You will simply select the NEXT button at the bottom of the page to proceed.
4) I have not yet taken my test. While studying for the license examination, I realize that my PSI's license examination registration was submitted with an incorrect social security number or birth date. What do I do to make this correction?
You may log onto PSI's Examination Scheduling Service to correct your PSI license examination registration any time before you take or pass your license examination. In addition, you may contact PSI Services LLC at 1-800-733-9267 to correct the information.
5) I passed the license examination and tried to submit my license application. Instead of submitting the application, I received a pop-up that said the following:
No passed examination was found for the license qualification(s) you are applying for. Please check your passed examination letter to ensure the following:
(1)The correct license type(s) for the examination you passed are checked correctly on the online application. For example, for the life, accident and health license examination, you are to select Life-Only Agent and Accident and Health Agent license types. For the property and casualty license examination you are to select Property Broker-Agent and Casualty Broker-Agent license types; and,
(2) The 12-digit identification number was inserted correctly (e.g. the identification number is identical to the identification number that is listed on the passed examination letter).
If you have not passed your license examination, please save this application and return to FLASH after you pass your license examination.
What am I supposed to do?
- First, confirm that you received a passed examination letter from one of CDI's examination sites or from one of PSI's test centers.
- Second, review your passed examination letter. Verify that the correct license type(s) for the examination you passed are checked on your license application. For example, for the life, accident and health examination, select Life-Only Agent and Accident and Health Agent license types. For the property and casualty examination select Property Broker-Agent and Casualty Broker-Agent license types.
- Third, verify that the 12-digit identification number that was inserted on the first page of CDI's online license application service, Fast Licensing Application Service is Here (FLASH) is identical to the identification number listed on your passed examination letter. If the numbers are not accurate, correct the misinformation and proceed to submit your license application.
- Fourth, if you continue to receive the "unable to submit license application" note and you recognize that the last four digits of your SSN or your birth date are incorrect, please email the correction to CDI at Licdocuments@insurance.ca.gov. Your email must include a scanned copy of your passed examination letter, an explanation as to what is to be corrected and attach a copy of your social security card or proof of the correct birth date (e.g. a copy of your driver's license or birth certificate). CDI will contact you when your identification number is corrected so that you may submit your license application.
6) With California being an examination first state, what do I do if I need special arrangements during the license examination?
A candidate with a disability or a candidate who would otherwise have difficulty taking the examination must complete the Special Arrangement Request Form and fax to CDI's examination vendor, PSI Services, LLC. The Special Arrangement Request Form is located at the end of the Candidate Information Bulletin and must be faxed to PSI Services, LLC at (702) 932-2666.
7) Can I apply for an insurance license if I passed my license examination more than one year ago?
No, Section 1676 of the California Insurance Code states, in part, that the commissioner shall not issue a permanent license to an applicant unless the applicant has passed the qualifying license examination within the 12-month period preceding the date the license is issued.
Please review CDI's Individual Resident License web page to review the prelicensing and examination requirements.
For information on other producer licensing matters, please visit CDI's website, on the Main Page, select "Agents and Brokers" to review the available links to locate the information you are seeking. For any other inquiries, please e-mail the Producer Licensing Bureau or call CDI's Licensing Hotline at (800) 967-9331. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.