Resident License Application Process FAQs
Application Process - Frequently Asked Questions
The California Department of Insurance (CDI) requires California resident applicants to complete the appropriate prelicensing education course and pass the qualifying license examination prior to submitting their license application.
This affects California residents applying for any license in which an examination: is required (e.g., life, accident and health or sickness, property, casualty, personal lines, limited lines automobile, and life limited to funeral and burial expenses) CDI's online application service is available on Sircon.
To assist license applicants in completing the license application process, please review the responses to the following frequently asked questions.
1) What are the steps for me to take an examination and submit a license application?
a) Complete the required prelicensing education and schedule your license examination through PSI Services LLC (PSI).
b) Once you complete the license examination, the monitor will display either a “passed” or “failed” results for the examination. Also, the next day you will receive an email with the license examination results.
- For a passed license examination, proceed to Sircon to submit your license application.
- For a failed license examination, return to PSI to schedule another examination.
c) If you have not been fingerprinted, get your fingerprints at the live scan vendor located at the test center where you take the license examination or locate a live scan vendor using the Department of Justice’s Live Scan Fingerprinting vendors online service. The DOJ list is broken down by county. Please use the following forms when a DOJ Live Scan Vendor is submitting your fingerprints:
- License Applicant Instructions, LIC 442-39A
- Department of Justice, Request for Live Scan Service, BCIA 8016
2) I have not yet taken my license examination and realized my PSI license examination registration was submitted with an incorrect social security number or birth date. What do I do to make this correction?
You may log onto PSI's Examination Scheduling Service to correct your PSI license examination registration any time before you take your license examination. In addition, you may contact PSI at (833) 518-7456 to correct the information.
3) With California being an examination first state, what do I do if I need special arrangements during the license examination?
Special accommodations for license applicants with a disability or applicants who would otherwise have difficulty taking the license examination must request Special Examination Arrangements, through PSI. The Special Examination Arrangements can be requested electronically from the link on page 12 of CDI’s Candidate Information Bulletin or by calling PSI directly at (833) 518-7456.
4) Can I apply for an insurance license if I passed my license examination more than one year ago?
No, Cal. Ins. Code 1677 states, in part, the Commissioner shall not issue a permanent license to an applicant unless the applicant has passed the qualifying license examination within the 12-month period preceding the date the license is issued.
Please review CDI’s Individual Resident License webpage to review the prelicensing and examination requirements for each license qualification that requires a license examination.
For information on other producer licensing matters, please visit CDI's website, on the Main Page, select "Agents and Brokers" to review the available links to locate the information you are seeking. For any other inquiries, please e-mail the Producer Licensing Bureau or call CDI's Licensing Hotline at (800) 967-9331. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.