Our thoughts are with those who suffered a loss as a result of the recent California wildfires. The loss of life and property in the communities hit by these fires is heartbreaking.
In an effort to assist victims of these devastating fires, we are continuing to work closely with other federal, state and local agencies to assist in recovery issues related to insurance.
Please work with your agent, insurer claims adjuster, and insurer with a goal of achieving a settlement that you believe is fair and consistent with your coverage. If you have a question about your insurance or a dispute with your insurer, please call us at 1-800-927-4357. We hope the guides listed below can help you understand some of the key insurance coverage terms that typically apply, prepare you for the process of making and settling a claim, and help you to avoid some of the pitfalls that can occur along the way.
- Top 10 Tips for Wildfire Claimants English Spanish
- Home Inventory Guide
- Don't Get Burned After a Disaster
- Tips to Avoid Being Victimized by an Insurance Scam
- Residential Property Claims Guide
- Top 10 Tips for Finding Residential Insurance English Spanish
- Residential Insurance Company Contact List
- Coverage for Flood, Mudflow, Mudslide, Debris Flow, Landslide, or other Similar Event After a Wildfire Fact Sheet
Obtain Assistance from CDI
Advisories and Commissioner Notices
- 2018 Commissioner Notices: November Wildfires
- 2018 Commissioner Notices: July Wildfires
- 2017 Wildfire Commissioner Notices
The Department of Insurance urges consumers to begin the claims process by contacting their insurance company or agent. The Department strongly suggests people take their time when considering a contract for public adjuster. If a policyholder is considering hiring a public adjuster, the Department also urges consumers to check the public adjuster's license and make sure they are properly licensed and in good standing.
- Check Public Adjuster License Status by Name
- Check Public Adjuster License Status by License Number
- Enforcement Actions
- Wildfire Availability and Affordability Report
- Revised Appendix D to Availability and Affordability Report