Commissioner Lara Appoints Members to the Curriculum Board and the CIGA Board of Governors
News: 2020 Press Release
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara today announced his appointments of the newest members to the Curriculum Board and the California Insurance Guarantee Association (CIGA) Board of Governors that work to protect the interests of California consumers.
The Curriculum Board oversees the development of prelicensing and continuing education curriculum for agents and brokers to uphold professional standards that protect consumers. This includes a list of preapproved courses of study as well as courses of study for professional designations. This Board also develops standards for providers and instructors who provide courses and other training to licensed agents and brokers.
“I am very pleased to announce my appointment of Neal Bordenave, Jesse Dogillo, and Mimie Yoon-Lee as the newest members of the Curriculum Board, whose knowledge and expertise will help to further the goal of ensuring a robust program of study to properly prepare licensees for the insurance business while protecting California consumers,” said Commissioner Lara.
The CIGA Board of Governors oversees the guarantee association’s general operations and management in order to protect policyholders in the event of an insurance company insolvency. Established in 1969 by the Governor and California State Legislature, CIGA comprises all insurance companies licensed to sell homeowners, workers’ compensation, automobile, and other specified lines of insurance in California.
“I also have the privilege to announce my appointment of Richard De La Mora as a new representative to the CIGA Board of Governors, a long-standing entity which has the important role of protecting California consumers from loss in the event that an insurer becomes insolvent,” added Commissioner Lara.
The next Curriculum Board meeting will be held on Thursday, February 20, 2020 at the Department. The next CIGA Board of Governors meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 5, 2020. More details are available at: www.insurance.ca.gov/boards or you may send an email to: CDIBoards@insurance.ca.gov.
# # #
- Newest members of the Curriculum Board:
- Neal Bordenave is President & CEO of RiskPro Insurance Services, Inc. He has over 25 years of insurance and risk management expertise and also provides insurance litigation consulting and expert witness services. Bordenave is an Adjunct Professor at the California State University, Chico where he teaches courses in corporate finance as well as risk management and insurance. Bordenave has been appointed to the Curriculum Board in the insurance agent representative seat with a term ending on January 21, 2023.
- Jesse Dogillo is owner of Bay Area Financial and Insurance Services, an independent insurance agency which issues life, health, disability, long term care, and property casualty insurance. He also teaches at the University of California, Santa Cruz as a Risk Management/Insurance Instructor and serves as the current Chapter President of the Asian American Financial & Insurance Professional Association. Dogillo has been appointed to the Curriculum Board in the life agent representative seat with a term ending on January 21, 2023.
- Mimie Yoon-Lee is the Assistant Vice President for Investment Advisor Training at Lincoln Financial Network. She is responsible for the creation and development of the network’s national advisor training programs including national conferences and specialized training. In her 22 years with the firm, Yoon-Lee has also served as both the Director of Insurance and the Director of Marketing. She serves as the President-Elect for the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors-California (NAIFA-California) and trustee for the NAIFA-California State Board. Yoon-Lee joins the Curriculum Board in the life agent trade association representative seat with a term ending January 21, 2023.
- Newest member of CIGA Board of Governors:
- Richard De La Mora is the Senior Vice President & Counsel, Head of Personal Lines and Strategy at Farmers Group, Inc., where he is responsible for legal and regulatory oversight of Farmers Personal Lines products throughout the United States. Previously, he worked in private civil practice for Barger & Wolen LLP, a California insurance regulatory and litigation firm representing insurers and health care plans in regulatory and litigation matters including conservation and liquidation proceedings. De La Mora joins the CIGA Board of Governors as the representative for Farmers Group in a member insurer seat for the remainder of an existing term ending December 31, 2021.
The California Department of Insurance, established in 1868, is the largest consumer protection agency in California. Insurers collect $310 billion in premiums annually in California. Since 2011 the California Department of Insurance received more than 1,000,000 calls from consumers and helped recover over $469 million in claims and premiums. Please visit the Department of Insurance website at www.insurance.ca.gov. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800-927-4357. Teletypewriter (TTY), please dial 800-482-4833.