Name Approval Instructions
California Insurance Code Section 881 requires the name of every insurer (including reciprocal or inter-insurance exchanges), attorney-in-fact, motor club, and underwritten title company to be submitted and approved by the Department of Insurance before using the name in California.
For insurance agents and brokers, please contact the Producer Licensing Bureau at (916) 492-3069 for name approval requests.
Please submit the following to the Corporate Affairs Bureau of the California Department of Insurance at 1901 Harrison Street, 6th Floor, Oakland, CA 94612.
- Please see the "Name Approval/Change" fee category on the Schedule of Fees and Charges.
- An Applicant domiciled in California may submit up to three proposed names in order of preference.
- An Applicant not organized under the laws of California must submit their legal name. If the Applicant is required to use an operating name in California, a certified copy of a resolution by its board of directors (or if its form of business organization does not have a board of directors, its governing body) authorizing the use of the operating name will be required.
- For a reciprocal insurer or inter-insurance exchange, include a proposed attorney-in-fact name.
- State of domicile
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) number, group number, and group name
- An organizational chart identifying all Affiliates, including parent companies and subsidiaries. If the Applicant has not yet been formed, the organizational chart must specify the proposed position of the Applicant on the organizational chart upon completion of the Applicant's formation. If the Applicant is not affiliated with any other company or person, list the names of the owners or proposed owners of the Applicant.
- List the classes of insurance (California Insurance Code Section 100) that the Applicant transacts or proposes to transact in California.
- Indicate if the Applicant is or will be one of more of the following:
- An insurer
- Writing life insurance
- A mutual insurance company
- A reciprocal insurer or an inter-insurance exchange
- An underwritten title company
- A title insurer
- Writing mortgage guaranty insurance
- A motor club
- The United States branch of an alien insurer
- Multiple Employer Welfare Association
- Primarily transacting reinsurance
- An Applicant requesting an approval for a name change must submit the following:
- Current name in California
- The reason for the proposed name change (including but not limited to marketing reasons, acquisition, merger or reorganization of the Applicant)
- Indicate if the requirements of Title10, California Code of Regulations, section 2303.15(q) apply.