- Application for Individual Insurance License, form LIC 441-9.
- Application for Business Entity License, form LIC 441-11.
- Form LIC RCA 1 - Initial Certification.
- Form LIC RCA 2 - Annual Certification.
- Form LIC RCA 3 - Notice of Appointment.
- Form LIC RCA 4 - Outline of Required Training Elements.
- Form LIC RCA 5 - Authorized Endorsees.
: Section 1758.8 of the California Insurance Code reads, in part:
A rental car agent licensee and/or endorsee is a person authorized to offer or sell those types of insurance as specified in Section 1758.85 of the California Insurance Code, in connection with and incidental to rental agreements, on behalf of any insurer authorized to write those types of insurance in this state.
- Application: The applicant is required to complete an application. If the applicant is a business entity, form LIC 441-11*, must be submitted. If the applicant is an individual, form LIC 441-9*, must be submitted.
- Insurer Certification: A Rental Car Agent Notice of Appointment, form LIC RCA 3 must be completed by an authorized insurer certifying that the insurer has satisfied itself that the named applicant is trustworthy and competent to act as its insurance agent limited to this purpose. The insurer will appoint the applicant to act as its agent to transact rental car insurance.
- Initial Certification of Authorized Employees: The applicant must certify on form LIC RCA 1 that all employees who offer or sell rental car insurance have completed the required training.
- Annual update of the list of employees certified to sell insurance - retain 3 years form LIC RCA 5.
- Employer certification form LIC RCA 1.
- File Annual certification form LIC RCA 2.
- Submit modifications to training materials 30 days in advance.
- Periodic re-training of employees.
- Renew license every 2 years.
- Pay enforcement costs.
- Entity Types: Individual and Business Entity.
- Training: Employers must provide training on ethical sales practices, personal accident insurance, liability insurance and personal effects as they pertain to renters and rental vehicles. Training in roadside assistance insurance and emergency sickness insurance may also be included. The endorsee training is described in form LIC RCA 4.
- 18 Years of age or older.
- Must be on a list of authorized employees, form LIC RCA 5 maintained by the rental car company.
- The rental car company must identify the authorized employee, form LIC RCA 5 who is the manager or supervisor at each location maintained by the company.
- Mandatory training, form LIC RCA 4.
- Residency: California residency is not required.
- Training: Employers must provide training in personal accident insurance, liability insurance and personal effects insurance as they pertain to renters and rental vehicles. Training must also include roadside assistance insurance and emergency sickness insurance. The endorsee training requirements are stated in form LIC RCA 4.
License filing - two year term $348 (effective June 15, 2013 this fee will be $383).
The term of the first license begins the date the license is issued and ends the last day of that same calendar month two years later. All additional licenses are issued for the balance of the established term.
Renewal of License:
Notice - Changes to License Renewals
- The California Department of Insurance (CDI) no longer mails renewal notices to individuals and business entities licensed through CDI's Producer Licensing Bureau. Instead, CDI will email licensees a renewal notification to their email address on record.
- Individuals and business entities who do not receive the email notification must still renew their license by completing the Application to Renew Individual License, form LIC 448-29A, or the Application to Renew Business Entity License, form LIC 448-29B, and mail the completed form to the California Department of Insurance, PO Box 311, Sacramento, California 95812-0311.
- Note: The online renewal service is currently not available for this license.
- Any licensees that renew their licenses late will be required to pay a 50 percent penalty fee and file new company appointments and/or business entity endorsements or solicitor appointment (if applicable). "Late" is defined as any renewal for which the requirements to renew are not met until after the expiration date of the previous license term. Use this link Late Renewal - What To Do to find out how to late renew your license.
Financial Security Requirements for Limited Liability Companies
- Limited liability companies (LLC's) are required to provide proof of satisfying the security requirements of Section 1647.5 of the California Insurance Code when applying for an insurance license and once licensed, must also file with the Commissioner an annual confirmation of coverage demonstrating continued compliance with the financial security requirements. Additional information regarding the new requirements is contained in the public notice linked on this page.
- For additional LLC application filing information, annual certification of coverage information, and links to forms that can be used as proof of fulfilling the security requirements, please go to the following link: Business Entity Limited Liability Company Requirements
- Federal law (Title 18 United States Code Section 1033) prohibits anyone who has been convicted of a felony involving dishonesty or a breach of trust from conducting the business of insurance unless they have obtained the written consent of the Insurance Commissioner. It is a violation of this statute to conduct business of insurance without the Commissioners written consent. If you have been convicted of a felony involving dishonesty or a breach of trust then you must attach a copy of this consent. If you have not obtained this written consent you must do so by filing a 1033 Short Form Application for Written Consent prior to filing your application.
- If currently licensed as a resident of another state, upon becoming a California resident, a clearance letter from the former state of residence is required.
To obtain insurance licensing forms by mail, send an e-mail request to: Producer Licensing Bureau.
To obtain Rental Car insurance licensing information, you may phone the Producer Licensing Bureau's Business Entity unit at (916) 492-3069.
All fees mailed to the Department must be addressed to: Department of Insurance, P.O. Box 1139, Sacramento CA 95812-1139.
Pursuant to Section 1751.5, all filing fees submitted are not refundable, whether or not the application is acted upon or an examination taken.
LIC 642-A (Rev 04/2013)