Car Rental Agent Licensing
- Application for Individual Insurance License, go to Sircon's Apply for a License.
- Application for Business Entity License, go to Sircon's Apply for a License.
- Form LIC RCA 1 - Initial Certification.
- Form LIC RCA 2 - Annual Certification.
- Form LIC RCA 3 - Notice of Appointment.
- Form LIC RCA 4 - Outline of Required Training Elements.
- Form LIC RCA 5 - Authorized Endorsees.
Table of Contents
California Insurance Code (Cal. Ins. Code) Section 1758.8 reads, in part:
A rental car agent licensee and/or endorsee is a person authorized to offer or sell those types of insurance as specified in Section 1758.85 of the California Insurance Code, in connection with and incidental to rental agreements, on behalf of any insurer authorized to write those types of insurance in this state.
- Application: Individual and business entity license applicants can go to Sircon's Apply for a License
- Insurer Certification: A Rental Car Agent Notice of Appointment, form LIC RCA 3 must be completed by an authorized insurer certifying that the insurer has satisfied itself that the named applicant is trustworthy and competent to act as its insurance agent limited to this purpose. The insurer will appoint the applicant to act as its agent to transact rental car insurance.
- Initial Certification of Authorized Employees: The applicant must certify on form LIC RCA 1 that all employees who offer or sell rental car insurance have completed the required training.
Qualifications - Employer
- Annual update of the list of employees certified to sell insurance - retain 3 years form LIC RCA 5.
- Employer certification form LIC RCA 1.
- File Annual certification form LIC RCA 2.
- Submit modifications to training materials 30 days in advance.
- Periodic re-training of employees.
- Renew license every 2 years.
- Pay enforcement costs.
- Entity Types: Individual and Business Entity.
- Training: Employers must provide training on ethical sales practices, personal accident insurance, liability insurance and personal effects as they pertain to renters and rental vehicles. Training in roadside assistance insurance and emergency sickness insurance may also be included. The endorsee training is described in form LIC RCA 4.
Qualifications - Employee
- 18 Years of age or older.
- Must be on a list of authorized employees, form LIC RCA 5 maintained by the rental car company.
- The rental car company must identify the authorized employee, form LIC RCA 5 who is the manager or supervisor at each location maintained by the company.
- Mandatory training, form LIC RCA 4.
- Residency: California residency is not required.
- Training: Employers must provide training in personal accident insurance, liability insurance and personal effects insurance as they pertain to renters and rental vehicles. Training must also include roadside assistance insurance and emergency sickness insurance. The endorsee training requirements are stated in form LIC RCA 4.
Fees - Individual Residents or Non-Resident and Business Entity:
License filing - two year term $509
The term of the first license begins the date the license is issued and ends the last day of that same calendar month two years later. All additional licenses are issued for the balance of the established term.
Renewal of License:
- CDI emails licensees a renewal notification to their email address on record. The email notification includes the license number, license term, license type, and information regarding any continuing education requirements. You can update your e-mail address using Sircon's Online Address Change service.
- Individuals and business entities who do not receive the email notification must still renew their license online by following the prompts on Sircon's Renewal or Reinstate a License.
Sircon's Renewal or Reinstate a License is available to insurance agents, brokers, and adjusters who want to reinstate their licenses after the license expiration date has passed. Additionally, the online renewal service is available to insurance agents, brokers, and adjusters who previously used the online renewal service as an on-time renewal but were not able to renew their license because not all of the requirements to renew were met prior to the license expiration date. The online renewal service allows these licensees, once their requirements have been met, to complete the renewal of their license by paying the 50 percent late penalty fee.
The online renewal service for license reinstatements is not available to bail agents, who by law must reapply as a new applicant if their license is not renewed prior to the expiration date.
- Any licensees that reinstate their licenses after the expiration date will be required to pay a 50 percent penalty fee and file new company appointments and/or business entity endorsements or solicitor appointment (if applicable). "Reinstate" is defined as any reinstatement for which the requirements to renew are not met until after the expiration date of the previous license term.
Financial Security Requirements for Limited Liability Companies
- Limited liability companies (LLCs) are required to provide proof of satisfying the security requirements of Cal. Ins. Code Section 1647.5 when applying for an insurance license and once licensed, must also file with the Commissioner an annual confirmation of coverage demonstrating continued compliance with the financial security requirements.
- For additional LLC application filing information, annual certification of coverage information, and links to forms that can be used as proof of fulfilling the security requirements, please go to the following link: Business Entity Limited Liability Company Requirements
- Federal law (Title 18 United States Code Section 1033) prohibits anyone who has been convicted of a felony involving dishonesty or a breach of trust from conducting the business of insurance unless they have obtained the written consent of the Insurance Commissioner. It is a violation of this statute to conduct business of insurance without the Commissioners written consent. If you have been convicted of a felony involving dishonesty or a breach of trust then you must attach a copy of this consent. If you have not obtained this written consent you must do so by filing a 1033 Short Form Application for Written Consent prior to filing your application.
- If currently licensed as a resident of another state, upon becoming a California resident, a clearance letter from the former state of residence is required.
To obtain insurance licensing forms by mail, send an e-mail request to: Producer Licensing Bureau.
To obtain Rental Car insurance licensing information, you may phone the Producer Licensing Bureau's Business Entity unit at (916) 492-3069.
All fees mailed to the Department must be addressed to: Department of Insurance, P.O. Box 1139, Sacramento CA 95812-1139.
Pursuant to Section 1751.5, all filing fees submitted are not refundable, whether or not the application is acted upon or an examination taken.