Cannabis and Insurance Initiative
Our goal is to make sure that insurance products are available, especially to businesses that will need insurance to secure a license from the California cannabis licensing agencies. We want to learn more from you about what the California Department of Insurance (CDI) can do to be helpful to both the insurance industry and the cannabis industry to provide insurance-related guidance or resources. To sign up for CDI cannabis insurance updates please opt-in for more information by selecting the first link below.
- Important announcement regarding Proposition 64
- Sign up to receive cannabis insurance information
- Stakeholder Email Update List -- send an email with the subject "subscribe" to Info.Cannabis@insurance.ca.gov.
- Questions? Contact us at Info.Cannabis@insurance.ca.gov.
- *Cannabis Insurance List - Updated 02/06/2020
- Press Release - First Commercial Insurer to File Cannabis Business
Insurance is Approved by Insurance Commissioner
- Press Release - Cannabis Insurance Public Hearing on 10/19/17
- Agenda - Cannabis Insurance Public Hearing on 10/19/17
- Notice of Public Hearing on 10/19/17
*Please note: The California Department of Insurance does not recommend or endorse any of the agents/brokers listed on the Cannabis Insurance List. Find out if your agent/broker is licensed. Ask your agent/broker if your business would be covered in the event of a cannabis-related loss. Be aware of policies that have cannabis or public policy exclusions in them. To write surplus line business in California, insurers must either be on the LASLI (List of Approved Surplus Line Insurers) or must meet the eligibility requirements of California Insurance Code Section 1765.1. To be added or removed from the Cannabis Insurance List, please email Info.Cannabis@insurance.ca.gov.
- California Department of Insurance Response to Cannabis Insurance Regulations
- Cannabis Insurance Stakeholder Call - May 2017
- Cannabis public hearing video below - 10/19/2017 (CDI hearing begins at 1:23:54)