Skip to Contentseparator HomeseparatorCheck License StatussepartorContact UssepartorRequest for Assistance
Welcome to the California Department of Insurance
Site tools
Decrease font size Increase font size Site map Help Print-friendly version
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I don't know the name of my insurance company. What should I do?

A: Contact your insurance agent, who should have a copy of your policy with all pertinent information. If you do not have an agent, or you cannot reach your agent, check with your mortgage lender. Your bank may also have records of pertinent insurance information. Check your bank records for canceled checks or records of electronic payments. If you used credit card or check card to pay your premium check those records as well.

Q: Insurance companies have placed a moratorium on writing coverage in certain areas. How long will it last?

A: It is not uncommon for insurance companies to institute a temporary moratorium on writings following a natural disaster. The length of a moratorium will depend on the facts and circumstances. Nevertheless, a moratorium that is unduly prolonged may be subject to investigation. The Department is monitoring and will take appropriate action as necessary, reporting relevant information on this Web site as it becomes available.

Q: I was required to evacuate my home. I have had no damage. Will my insurance company pay for the cost of my temporary housing?

A: Most homeowner's policies provide Additional Living Expense coverage when the policyholder is required to leave their home by order of civil authority during a disaster, but you need to check the type of coverage you have under your specific policy. If you do not have a copy of your policy, contact your agent or company to find out if you are covered.

Q: I did not have renter's insurance. Will my landlord's policy cover my personal property?

A: Unfortunately, the answer is no, unless the landlord specifically named you in his/her policy as a covered insured. You may wish to seek assistance from one of the agencies that provide funds for uninsured or underinsured losses.

Q: Are insurance companies required to advise me of what my policy covers? Are there laws that are applicable to the processing of claims by insurance companies?

A: Insurance companies are required to follow all insurance laws and regulations. The Department of Insurance has established a very specific set of Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations that must be adhered to. You can view these regulations on this Web site or call us at 1-800-927-HELP for a copy.

Q: I was not insured. Will there be funds available from the government? Who do I call?

A: You need to check with various agencies to find out what may be available for you. Representatives from relief organizations will be present at the Local Assistance Centers to assist you in finding the right information. You may also check the Useful Links to Other Agencies Providing Assistance to Firestorm Victims section of this Web page for contact information.