About Us Overview
An Introduction to CDI Operations
About the Commissioner
Boards & Committees
Types of Cases Handled by the AHB
- CAARP Hearing
- A hearing to consider the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan's proposed rate change application.
- CAARP Appeal Hearing
- A hearing concerning participation in the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan.
- Cease and Desist Hearing
- A hearing to obtain an order requiring a person or business to stop certain activity.
- 12921.8 Cease and Desist Hearing
- A hearing determining whether an unlicensed person or entity has been holding themselves out as licensees and to obtain an order preventing the person or entity from continuing the unlawful activity.
- CIGA Hearing
- A hearing concerning a grievance by a member insurer from an action or decision of the California Insurance Guarantee Association.
- Enforcement Hearing
- A hearing brought against an insurer to enforce a provision of the Insurance Code dealing with rating and underwriting issues.
- FAIR Plan Appeal Hearing
- A hearing appealing an administrative decision of the California Fair Access to Insurance Requirements Plan.
- Insurance Code Section 789 Hearing
- A hearing determining whether the Commissioner will assess penalties against a licensee for selling excessive disability coverage to persons over 65.
- Insurance Code 1065 Stop Order Hearing
- A hearing determining whether a person or company is conducting business in a manner that threatens to render the company insolvent.
- Investigative Hearing
- A hearing held by the Commissioner to receive public input on an issue to determine what action, if any, needs to be taken.
- Rulemaking Hearing
- A hearing required by law to receive public comments before adopting a regulation.
- Noncompliance Hearing
- A hearing determining whether an insurer is not in compliance with the Insurance Code and associated regulations.
- Policy Form Withdrawal Hearing
- Pursuant to Insurance Code section 10291.5(f), the Commissioner can withdraw approval of a policy form. The affected insurer may request a hearing to determine whether the withdrawal should be annulled, modified, or confirmed.
- Prohibited Persons Hearing
- Appeal of Denial of Consent pursuant to 18 U.S.C. section 1033.
- Prior Approval Hearing
- A hearing determining whether the Commissioner will approve an insurance carrier's rate or rate plan filing.
- Surplus Lines Export List Hearing
- A hearing determining whether the Commissioner will add additional insurance products to the list of products that can be offered by insurers not licensed in California.
- Unfair Practices Act (UPA) Hearing
- A hearing determining whether a person or entity has engaged in unfair or deceptive practices and whether penalties will be assessed.
- Life Settlement Hearing
- A hearing determining whether it is contrary to the interests of the public for a licensee to continue to transact life settlements business.
- Workers' Compensation Insurance Appeal Hearing
- A hearing about Workers' Compensation insurance rates. Policyholder appeals from final decisions by the Workers' Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau or an insurer regarding classification of employees, experience modifications, and requests for information. These hearings do not concern specific claims or claims handling.