The following reports are for the 2009 Market Share of Property & Casualty Insurers licensed to do business in California. The data are from the National Association of Insurance Commissioner's (NAIC) database, for California licensed companies only. The information is the same as reported on the State Page (page 19) of the insurer's Annual Statement or known as the Statutory Page 14 data. Only companies actively doing business in California (with Direct Written Premium greater than $0) are included.
The reports are "by line of business" on an individual company basis and on a group basis, and are sorted alphabetically by company (or group) name, and by their written premium. The Top 25 Groups' report shows their breakdown of business written by concentration level, which is defined by the percentages of premium written in 2009 by line of business with respect to that group's total business written. These Top 25 Groups represent 77.25% of California's property and casualty industry. Lastly, we have included the Historical Loss & LAE Ratios of a selected 20 Insurers (1997 to 2009) in California for three major lines of business, Homeowners, PPA Liability, and PPA Physical Damage.
This year, we have added a section to include data for Risk Retention Groups (RRG) that had business in California in 2009. Risk retention groups are created under the federal Risk Retention Act of 1986. The Act permits an RRG to form as an insurance company and requires it follow the insurance laws of at least one state.
Note: The following reports are in PDF. You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF file. You can download a FREE Acrobat Reader from Adobe's website.
- Preface (pdf)
- Market Share Summary (pdf, 1MB)
- Market Share by Line, by Company Name (pdf, 4MB)
- Market Share by Line, by Group Name (pdf, 4MB)
- Market Share by Line, by Company Written Premium (pdf, 4MB)
- Market Share by Line, by Group Written Premium (pdf, 4MB)
- Top 25 Insurance Groups' Concentration Level (pdf, 2MB)
- Premium & Loss Distribution Charts by Line (pdf, 479KB)
- Historical (1991-2009) Premium & Loss Charts by Line (pdf, 1.08MB)
- Homeowners: Selected 20 Loss & LAE Report (pdf, 99KB)
- PPA Liability: Selected 20 Loss & LAE Report (pdf, 99KB)
- PPA Physical Damage: Selected 20 Loss & LAE Report (pdf, 99KB)
Risk Retention Group
KEY: The columns of the report are as follows:
Rec #: Record Count (number of companies or groups in the report)
Group #: NAIC assigned number for the Group of companies
NAIC #: NAIC assigned number for the Individual companies
Company Name: Name of the insurer
Written Premium: CA Direct Written Premium (DWP)
Market Share: Calculated by dividing the insurer's DWP by the Total DWP for all insurers
Concentration Level: The % of premium written in the current year by line of business with respect to the group's total business written
Earned Premium: CA Direct Earned Premium (DEP)
Incurred Losses: CA Direct Losses Incurred (DLI)
Loss Ratio: Calculated by dividing the insurer's DLI by the DEP