Consumer Success Stories
Studies, Reports & Publications
News: 2011 Press Release
For Release: September 9, 2011
Media Calls Only: 916-492-3566
Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones Announces Passage Of Omnibus Bill To Clarify Insurance Code Sections
Commissioner Urges Governor to Sign AB 1416 into Law
Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones today announced that the California State Legislature passed AB 1416, which makes several technical changes to various Insurance Code sections regarding agent licensing, training, and previously enacted legislation. The measure, which received unanimous, bipartisan support, was sponsored by the California Department of Insurance and authored by the Assembly Committee on Insurance.
"This bill will ensure that needed clarifications of the California Insurance Code are made in an effort to improve and streamline the Department's operations," said Commissioner Jones. "These improvements will allow us to better serve California consumers."
The issues that are addressed by AB 1416 include:
- Variable Contract Authority
- Cleanup to AB 800 (Chapter 254, Statutes of 2009)
- Cleanup to AB 2044 (Chapter 300, Statutes of 2008)
- Cleanup to AB 2731 (Chapter 78, Statutes of 2008)
- Cleanup to AB 2782 (Chapter 400, Statutes of 2010)
- Cleanup to SB 620 (Chapter 547, Statutes of 2003)
- Cleanup to add Personal and Limited Lines Automobile Licensees as eligible to be appointed as Insurance Solicitors
- NAIC recommendation for language clarification of Long Term Care
- Market Conduct Examination Reports
- Clarification of Articles of Incorporation for Licensees
- Clarify CAARP Advisory Committee membership
- Clarify Bond Requirements for Property and Casualty Licenses regarding AB 2782 (Chapter 400, Statutes of 2010)
"I urge Governor Jerry Brown to sign this non-controversial omnibus bill which is aimed at improving the Department's processes," said Commissioner Jones.
The California Department of Insurance, established in 1868, is the largest consumer protection agency in California, regulating the $123 billion insurance marketplace. In 2013 the California Department of Insurance received more than 170,000 calls from consumers and helped recover over $63 million in claims and premiums. Please visit the Department of Insurance web site at www.insurance.ca.gov. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800.927.HELP or 213.897.8921. Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDD), please dial 800.482.4833.