Studies, Reports & Publications
News: 2011 Press Release
For Release: August 5, 2011
Media Calls Only: 916-492-3566
Insurance Commissioner Jones Offers Tips to Save More on Car Insurance
Advises Consumers to Evaluate their Insurance Needs
Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones today released a series of tips geared toward helping California consumers save more when they are shopping for car insurance.
"In today's tight economy every dollar counts," said Commissioner Dave Jones. "Consumers should review their options when shopping for car insurance to find the right fit for both their car and their pocketbook."
Commissioner Jones offered the following tips and important questions consumers should ask when shopping for car insurance:
- When purchasing a new car, you will need both liability coverage (to meet state financial responsibility laws) and collision and comprehensive physical damage coverage to protect the vehicle from damage caused by an accident, theft or vandalism. Your lender will require you to purchase collision and comprehensive coverage; however, if you are considering a used car, and do not have a lender, full coverage may not be the best choice to save money.
- With the availability of online comparison, it is convenient to shop for car insurance on your own time and at your own pace, and most companies offer free quotes and same day response.
- Many insurers offer discounts if you drive less miles, are married and over 25. You may also qualify for discounts if you're a driver with a good record, a student, or belong to a group. Discounts are also available to seniors over 55 and to active duty or retired military.
- Some insurers offer additional discounts for multiple policies, and, if you choose, you can bundle your auto, home, renters or recreational vehicle policies.
- Ask your current insurer about the right deductible for your auto and financial needs, because a policy that has a higher deductible often has a lower premium. You can also examine different deductible choices when seeking a quote.
- Some insurers offer discounts for taking a driver training course.
- Some insurers will have a higher premium for a sport or luxury model. Additionally, some high-theft models will also have a higher deductible. Do your homework and find the right car and insurance policy that fits your needs the best.
"These are very simple, but very effective tips that can help consumers acquire affordable car insurance," Commissioner Jones said. "It is important that consumers educate themselves about the wide-range of car insurance options they have available to them, so they are able to find the best fit for their insurance needs. And make sure to ask about all available discounts."
For more information on automobile insurance please visit our website at www.insurance.ca.gov or call us at 1-800-927-HELP (4357).
Please visit the Department of Insurance Web site at www.insurance.ca.gov. Non media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800.927.HELP. Callers from out of state, please dial 213.897.8921. Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDD), please dial 800.482.4833.
If you are a member of the public wishing information, please visit our Consumer Services.