Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance

Non-Resident Requirements

AB 393 (Scott, Chapter 321, Statutes of 2000)*

A personal lines broker-agent license may be issued to a nonresident if the non-resident is licensed to transact automobile, residential (this includes, earthquake and flood insurance), personal watercraft, umbrella or excess liability insurance under the laws of the state or province of Canada wherein he or she resides.

The California Department of Insurance (CDI) requires fingerprint impressions from persons applying for a nonresident insurance producer license from the State of California, that do not meet the fingerprint exemptions. The "Non-Resident Applicants to File Fingerprint Impressions" Web page provides the procedures to submit fingerprint impressions and the exemptions.

A certificate under official seal and original signature from the insurance regulatory authority of the non-resident's home state or province may be accepted as evidence of the applicant's license status and the capacity or capacities in which he or she is licensed.

Licensed non-resident agents who comply with the continuing education requirements of their state of residence are exempt from California continuing education requirements.

NOTE: If licensees transact long term care products, they must meet California specific long term care education requirements.

Pursuant to Section 1679 of the California Insurance Code, an examination is not required if the applicant's state, commonwealth or Canadian province of residence has a reciprocal agreement with California for waiving of examination.

*These forms are in PDF format.  To view these forms, your browser must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. A free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from the Free Document Readers page. 

If you have any questions about the Personal Lines Broker-Agent License information you are reviewing, please read the most commonly asked questions in our Personal Lines Questions and Answers section.   If you need further assistance, please call CDI's Producer Licensing Bureau at (800) 967-9331 or (916) 322-3555, or send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau.   Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the CDI.

Font Size: Translate: Español