Residential Insurance

Residential Insurance: Homeowners and Renters 20 Insurance coverage for losses resulting from floods is generally not provided in a homeowners or renters policy. In 1968, Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) in response to the rising cost of taxpayer funded disaster relief for flood victims and the increasing amount of damage caused by floods. This program allows homeowners and renters to purchase insurance which will protect their residences and contents against direct physical loss by flood and damage caused by mudflows. The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), administered by FEMA, makes federally backed flood insurance available in communities that adopt and enforce floodplain management ordinances to reduce future flood losses. The maximum coverage amounts for a single-family home are $250,000 for the structure and $100,000 for its contents. Renters may also purchase up to $100,000 of coverage for their personal belongings. For information about flood insurance, property owners or renters should contact their insurance agent, call the NFIP’s Referral Center toll-free at1-800-427-4661.,orvisit theNFIP’swebsite, Surplus Lines Market If you are having difficulty finding the coverages you want, you may try obtaining coverage in the “surplus lines” market. Ask your agent or broker if they are able to obtain coverage with a surplus lines insurer or obtain coverage through a surplus lines broker (Please note that surplus lines insurers are not backed by the California Insurance Guarantee Association). Online Home Insurance Finder Tool The Department of Insurance has created several online tools at to help you scour the marketplace. Our Home Insurance Finder tool can help you identify those insurers writing in high risk regions to help narrow your search. National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)