Medicare Supplement Rate Guide Reporting Instructions
The purpose of the Medicare Supplement Rate Guide (MSRG) 2016 informational web page is to provide the reporting requirements, due dates, and related information needed to complete and satisfy your company's reporting obligations pursuant to California Insurance Code (CIC) 10192.20 (d) and the Knox-Keene Act of 1975/Health and Safety Code (HSC) 1358.20 (a) (5). The MSRG 2016 data call notification will be circulated to companies under the jurisdiction of both the California Department of Insurance (CDI) and the California Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC). Any MSRG-2016 technical issues or questions should be directed in writing to Fe Morris or Dairyn Valencia.
The MSRG 2016 documents (Acknowledgement Form, Data Workbook, and Affidavit) have been updated to be in compliance with the insurance codes, regulations, as well as, recommendations by CDI stakeholders. Companies who do not complete and submit the new and revised MSRG 2016 documents and/or follow the directions outlined in the MSRG 2016 Statistical Plan may be put in resubmission.
COMPANY FILING STATUS: MSRG 2016 Acknowledgement Form - If your company has an active CDI-Class 6 Disability license or currently offer medicare supplement contracts (DMHC) in California, you will be sent the Circular notification and are expected to comply with the data call requirements.NOTE: On the Acknowledgement Form, please use the drop-down list of company names to populate the "Company Name" field. The NAIC or DMHC number will auto-populate once you select your company name. Please review and follow the instructions outlined in the MSRG 2016 Statistical Plan.
a. Complete and submit the MSRG 2016 Acknowledgement Form by June 16, 2016 if your company has determined that it has no experience ("not filing") in 2016. Please include in the "No Experience/Other Explanation" a brief summary of your company's Medicare Supplement "no experience" status. For example, our company has a closed block of medicare supplement business, but we are currently not offering or writing new business in 2016 and 2017.
MSRG 2016 Data Workbook: The MSRG 2016 Data Workbook and Statistical Plan will be available on June 3, 2016.
NEW: Medicare Supplement Premiums/Annual Rates provided should be approved rates that have been filed and approved by CDI's Health Actuary Office (HAO) or DMHC (if under DMHC jurisdiction). If not approved by the time of the data submission, submit the most current CDI-approved or DMHC-approved rates. For those insurers that will be marketing and/or selling medicare supplement insurance in 2016 - 2017 in California, there are new instructions to follow in the MSRG 2016 Statistical Plan.
Starting in MSRG 2016, once CDI receives your company's completed MSRG 2016 Acknowledgement form with the updated contact information, CDI will email the respective company contact with the MSRG 2016 data workbook that has the currently approved medicare supplement rates and regions provided by CDI's Health Actuary Office (HAO).
2. California Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC): Companies under DMHC jurisdiction and who participated last year (MSRG 2015) and filed a data workbook/Affidavit.
CDI will also email the respective company contact with the MSRG 2016 data workbook that has the currently DMHC-approved medicare supplement rates and regions that was provided by CDI's Health Actuary Office (HAO).
3. New insurers or companies that did not participate in last year's MSRG data call and are authorized to market and/or sell medicare supplement insurance products in California for 2016 - 2017, must complete/file the MSRG 2016 Acknowledgement Form, Data Workbook (contact information, applicable rate's worksheets, and region's worksheet), and Affidavit.
The links provided below will allow you to download ("SAVE" or "SAVE AS") the instructions and forms. When you select the link on any of the documents below, please "SAVE" or "SAVE AS" to your company's computer. NOTE: Please do not "open" the documents or try to complete the forms from the internet or web browser, as a firewall may prevent you from viewing the document(s). If you have any questions regarding the instructions or the related forms, please email Fe Morris or Dairyn Valencia.
MSRG 2016 Documents:
Affidavit (Due July 21, 2016)
Any requests for extensions in reporting the MSRG 2016 Data Workbook and Affidavit must be received no later than July 14, 2016. All extension requests must be in writing. Please email your request to the attention of Fe Morris or Dairyn Valencia.Statreports@insurance.ca.gov. Your company must choose only one (1) method of reporting or filing to CDI to avoid duplicate filings and delayed processing of your company's filing. Please include in the Email subject line, the data call and year (i.e. MSRG 2016), company name, and NAIC # or DMHC #.
DOCUMENT UPLOAD PROCEDURE: Submitting the completed MSRG documents to CDI. To prevent delays in processing your company's documents, it is important that you answer the questions completely and correctly (i.e. correct Reporting Year, data call, etc.). If your company experiences problems using the Document Upload Procedure, please provide an email explanation and submit your MSRG documents to Statreports@insurance.ca.gov.
RETURN TO CDI WEBSITE & STATISTICAL PLANS WEBPAGE: Please make sure that you are in Statistical Plans 2016/MSRG 2016 web page.
- Once you have completed your forms and want to begin the submission process, click "SUBMIT FORMS AND DATA". This link will open the secured Document Upload Program.
- SELECT YOUR COMPANY'S NAME: The Document Upload Program will begin by asking you to enter your company's name. Select your company's name from the drop-down list provided on the webpage.
- PROVIDE CONTACT INFORMATION: Provide the name and email address for the DATA CALL CONTACT. The data call contact is person responsible for answering any questions regarding the information reported by your company.
- REPORTING YEAR: For MSRG 2016, please select "2016".
- FILING AS A GROUP IS NOT ALLOWED: For the MSRG, companies may only report on an individual basis. For the MSRG 2016, you may only select "NO".
- SELECT REPORT TYPE: From the drop-down list of values, select the Medicare Supplement Rate Guide.
- Once you have finished completing the contact and data call information, PLEASE CLICK "SUBMIT".
- UPLOADING THE FILE: SELECT "BROWSE" BUTTON: After you have entered the contact information and the data call (report type) you are filing under, use the "BROWSE" button to search for the file you would like to submit. The Document Upload Program will only allow a single upload per transaction.
- SUBMIT DATA: After you have selected the file you would like to submit, Select on the "SUBMIT" button. This will upload your company's file to CDI's secure server.
- "Are you submitting another file for the SAME COMPANY AND DATA CALL (as listed above)? If "YES", please click on the UPDATE button."
- "Are you submitting for a DIFFERENT COMPANY AND/OR DIFFERENT DATA CALL (other than what is listed above)? If "YES", please click on the Back to Search button and repeat the submission process for the new data call/company."
Frequently Asked Technical Issue: Once you have your internet browser open (Internet Explorer version 7.0 and up is preferred), please go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced Make sure that the "Enable native XMLHTTP support" is check marked.
NOTES: Users who do not have the following software applications.
� Acrobat Reader is required. Download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.
2 These forms were created and "saved as" Microsoft Excel 2003. Download a free copy of Microsoft Excel Viewer.