Advisory: Enforcement teams canvas Lilac Fire neighborhoods to warn of scams targeting homeowners-Jones announces new anti-fraud effort
News: 2017 Press Release
WHO: California Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones
Contractors State License Board Public Affairs Chief Rick Lopes
San Diego County Deputy District Attorney Sherry Thompson-Taylor
WHEN: Thursday December 14, 2017
WHERE: Lilac Fire Local Assistance Center
Vista Branch Library
700 Eucalyptus Avenue
Vista, CA 92084
- Handout video file of teams sweeping through fire area will be available.
Investigators with the Department of Insurance and Contractors State License Board will be on-site.
- Spanish speaker available.
- Department of Insurance consumer service team members and Contractors State License Board will be assisting victims in the LAC as well.
- Anxious to rebuild or make repairs after the devastating wildfire, homeowners may be inviting criminals onto their property or into their home when they contract with unlicensed individuals.
- Homeowners risk being victimized a second time through financial loss, and liability if a worker is injured on their property and not covered by workers' compensation insurance.
- Legitimate, licensed contractors face unfair competition from illegal operators who skirt laws that protect homeowners and workers.
- Like contractors, insurance adjusters also must be licensed; wildfire victims must be cautious before allowing anyone to help with their damage claims.
The California Department of Insurance, established in 1868, is the largest consumer protection agency in California. Insurers collect $289 billion in premiums annually in California. Since 2011 the California Department of Insurance received more than 1,000,000 calls from consumers and helped recover over $394 million in claims and premiums. Please visit the Department of Insurance web site at www.insurance.ca.gov. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800.927.HELP or 213.897.8921. Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDD), please dial 800.482.4833.