Southland man arrested on multiple felonies while serving federal probation
News: 2016 Press Release
LOS ANGELES, Calif. — Dwen Curry, 47, of Winnetka, CA was arrested by Department of Insurance detectives and booked on multiple counts of identity theft and attempted grand theft and possession of 10 or more persons' personal identifying information.
Curry allegedly stole the identity of multiple individuals, impersonated them and attempted to withdraw funds from annuities owned by the victims. Curry allegedly used the stolen identity of an individual to submit a change of address on an annuity investment and attempted to withdraw $35,000 from two annuities owned by the victim. The victim's insurance agent noted the unauthorized change of address, which they flagged as suspicious and reported to the department.
"This crime was uncovered by an alert consumer and their insurance agent who recognized unauthorized activity on the consumer's annuity investment," said Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones." Consumers should pay close attention to any mail they receive from their insurance company or financial institutions alerting them of attempts to access their information or make changes to their records."
Investigators with the Department of Insurance Investigation Division found a counterfeit driver's license, Social Security card and checks belonging to a previously unidentified victim, as well as dozens of stolen financial portfolios and personal information of other victims. Curry allegedly planned to use or was using these individuals' financial information to steal money from their investments.
Curry was arraigned in Los Angeles County Superior Court on February 16, 2016 and remains in custody. Bail is set at $195,000. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for February 26, 2016.
# # #
- Dwen Curry was arrested February 11, 2016 at U.S. Probation Office in Woodland Hills California.
- Dwen Curry booking photo. https://www.flickr.com/photos/ca_dept_insurance/24502285824/in/album-72157664675198422/
- The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office filed two counts of Identity Theft, in violation of Penal Code Section 530.5(a); and one count of Grand Theft, in violation of Penal Code Section 487(a); and one count of Possession of 10 or more persons personal identifying information, in violation of Penal Code Section 530.5(c)(3).
- Dwen Curry is currently on federal probation for wire fraud and possession of unauthorized devices used to commit identity theft.
- This case was investigated by the California Department of Insurance Enforcement Branch Investigation Division and prosecuted by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
- The grand theft and identity theft Curry is charged with allegedly occurred between August 14, 2015 and September 20,2015.
The California Department of Insurance, established in 1868, is the largest consumer protection agency in California. Insurers collect $289 billion in premiums annually in California. Since 2011 the California Department of Insurance received more than 1,000,000 calls from consumers and helped recover over $394 million in claims and premiums. Please visit the Department of Insurance web site at www.insurance.ca.gov. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800.927.HELP or 213.897.8921. Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDD), please dial 800.482.4833.