Agents & Brokers Overview
Producer Online Services
Applying for a License
Seeking Pre-Licensing / Continuing Education
Producer Background Information
Producer Licensing Forms
Renewing a License
Non-Resident License Renewal
Checking License Status
Updating Licensee Info
Applying to Become an Approved Education Provider
AGENTS & BROKERS: Variable Contract Authority
- You must submit acceptable proof of registration with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). Acceptable proof must show that you have completed Series 6 and Series 63 per Section 260.217 of the California Code of Regulations. If you are an active Life-Only agent and wish to add Variable Contract Authority to your existing license, you may email your Central Registration Depository number (CRD) or other approved registration information to Producer Licensing Bureau. Or you may fax this information to (916) 327-6907.
- Note: Your registration with FINRA must be approved before variable contract authority can be granted.
- After passing the Life-Only Agent examination, you may receive a Life-Only agent license with variable contract authority, however, you may not transact, solicit or negotiate the sale of any insurance under your variable contract authority until after one of the following documents is completed and submitted to the California Department of Insurance (CDI).
- Action Notice of Appointment, with $24 completed by the sponsoring insurance company admitted to California authorizes the person to act as an insurance agent. Pursuant to Section 2190.22 of Title 10 of the California Code of Regulations, the Action Notice of Appointment must be submitted electronically. To submit appointments electronically contact the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) and its authorized business partners for a list of approved partners.
- Pursuant to Section 1656 of the California Insurance Code, Business Entity Endorsement, completed by the sponsoring business entity licensed in California. The endorsement can be filed online using our Business Entity Endorsement and Termination Online Service.
General Licensing Information
If you need further assistance, please call the California Department of Insurance's (CDI) Producer Licensing Bureau at (800) 967-9331 or send an e-mail to Producer Licensing Bureau.