Contact Us Search
CA Department of Insurance

Course Approval Frequently Asked Questions

Course Approval*

Provider Questions & Answers  

Where should I send the provider/course approval applications?  

Provider/course approval applications, along with filing fees and required attachments, should be sent to:  

California Department of Insurance
Curriculum and Officer Review Bureau - Education Unit
300 Capitol Mall, Suite 1300
Sacramento, CA 95814

What subjects will or will not qualify for CE course approval?  

Subjects qualifying for CE course approval shall include, but not be limited to, technical insurance contract analysis, risk management techniques, rating and classification sessions. Subjects not qualifying for CE course approval shall include, but not be limited to: sales training, office management training, communication skills, motivational training, meetings offered by insurers to launch new products or programs, or self-improvement programs. Courses may fail to qualify for CE credit if the subject matter is deemed to be too basic, or is not at least as comprehensive as any applicable portion of the prelicensing education curriculum.  

What is the deadline for submitting course approval applications?  

Course approval applications and filing fees must be received in our office at least 30 days before the course presentation date. Any applications received less than 30 days from course offering date will be returned.  

Is it necessary for a provider to file a separate course approval application to offer a course that has already been approved for another provider?  

Yes. For control purposes, each course offered by a provider is assigned a special identification number so that information associated with a particular course can be tracked.  

May I advertise a course prior to the Department's approval? 

Yes, you may advertise the course as "submitted for approval with the Department of Insurance". In addition, a disclaimer stating that "the course may be rejected and no credit given" must be added.  

What is the definition of "material change" as stated in Section 2188.2(c) of the California Code of Regulations?  

"Material change" may include, but not be limited to, changes in course content, text book used, length of program, and method of instruction.  

Will any of the prelicensing courses be approved as continuing education courses?  

The provider can apply for a CE course number for an code and ethics course (12 hours); however, the provider must be an approved continuing education provider.  

Is it necessary to provide a copy of the prelicensing curriculum and educational objectives to students?  

Yes. The prelicensing curriculum and educational objectives should be provided to students upon initial enrollment of a class so that they know what the Department's qualifying examinations are based on and what is expected of them.

Agent Questions & Answers 

I completed a course that is not listed on the web site.       

The continuing education provider has 30 days from the course completion date to submit the student roster to the department. The department needs a reasonable amount of time to enter the completed hours into the database, which may take up to 30 days. If it has been more than 60 days since you completed the course, contact the provider and request that they submit the student roster to the department. If they insist that the student roster has been sent, request that they either resubmit it or contact the education unit on your behalf. Be sure to verify both your social security and license numbers with the provider. 

How is the completion date determined for courses that I have taken? 

The education provider sets their own policies as to how completion dates are determined. They can choose whether it is by postmark date, receipt date, grading date, etc. All students will receive credit based on the policy the provider sets forth, without exceptions. Please verify with the provider's policy for completion dates at the time of purchasing the course.    

Can I get credit for completing any approved course?   No. A licensee can only get credit for approved courses for the license type held.  

*Disclaimer - No course approved for either prelicensing or continuing education hours or any designation resulting from completion of such courses should be construed to be endorsed by the Commissioner.

If you need further assistance, please call CDI's Curriculum and Officer Review Bureau's Education Unit at (916) 492-3064. Please be sure to include your name, telephone number, license number and e-mail address in all correspondence with the California Department of Insurance.
Font Size: Translate: Español