Business Entity Name Approval Online Reservation Request Service - FAQ'S
Business Entity Name Approval (BENA) Online Reservation Request Service - Questions & Answers
This page is intended to address the questions you may have for completing the California Department of Insurance (CDI) Business Entity Name Approval (BENA) Online Reservation Request Service. If you need additional assistance, please call our Business Entity Licensing Inquiry line at (916) 492-3069.
1. What is BENA?
BENA is an online Business Entity Name Approval Request System designed to simplify and expedite the name approval process.
2. Who is eligible to use BENA to request a name reservation?
Any unlicensed business entity applying for an insurance license is eligible to use BENA. All new business entities are required to have their name approved prior to submitting an application. Submitting your name approval and reservation request through BENA will expedite the process.
3. How long does it normally take to have a name approved using BENA?
You will receive an e-mail response to your name approval and reservation request within two to three business days.
4. How will I know that my name has been approved?
You will receive a confirmation number via e-mail once your name has been approved.
5. Can a sole proprietor use BENA in order to obtain approval for a DBA name?
No, a sole proprietor cannot use BENA to request approval for a DBA. You will need to submit form LIC 447-42A along with the appropriate filing fees.
6. Can a licensed entity use BENA to change their existing name or add a DBA name?
No, BENA's primary function is to approve the business entity name for entities trying to obtain an insurance license in California for the first time.
7. Once my name has been approved, what will my next step be?
Your e-mail confirmation will provide with instructions on how to apply for your new insurance license.
8. Is there a fee to use BENA?
There is no fee required to use BENA. It is a free service.